Thesis and Dissertation Guidelines
Thesis and Dissertation Guidelines are established and approved by the Graduate College in conjunction with the University Graduate Council (UGC). Click here to view Thesis and Dissertation Deadlines. Submission requirements are included in the guidelines. The checklist indicates required items that must submitted with your final manuscript package. For additional information or assistance with your manuscript, please email GraduateWriting@fau.edu or call 561-297-2817.
|Graduate Thesis & Dissertation Guidelines (Effective Summer 2014)||
Thesis & Dissertation
Final Manuscript Package Checklist
Important Thesis or Dissertation Documents and Submission Requirements
All students are required to complete the following:
Signature Page Draft: A draft of the signature page must be submitted to GraduateWriting@fau.edu for formatting approval prior to obtaining committee signatures.
Final Clearance Package which includes:
- Transmittal Memo certifies that a thesis or dissertation is free of plagiarism. Upon a successful defense, students should obtain signatures from all committee members for their signature page and Transmittal Memo. (The deadline for this document varies for thesis and dissertation students - click here to see deadlines.)
- Signed signature page(s) printed on 25% cotton, white, watermarked paper (includes all signatures except the Graduate Dean).
- A final draft copy of the manuscript for formatting review (submitted in PDF or Word format to GraduateWriting@fau.edu or a printed draft copy delivered to Building SU-80, Suite 106).
Final Manuscript Package: Please view the checklist for detailed information on required items that must submitted with your final manuscript package. The Final Manuscript Package should not be completed until you have received final approval of your manuscript by the Graduate College Dean. The Graduate College provides notification of approval by emailing students a scanned copy of their signature page once it has been signed by the Graduate College Dean.
- In addition to completing the above, all doctoral students must complete their mandatory SED (Survey for Earned Doctorates). Students can complete the online SED here: https://sed-ncses.org/GradDateRouter.aspx. The Graduate College will receive official notification once the online survey is submitted.
- Signature Page Draft: A draft of the signature page must be submitted to GraduateWriting@fau.edu for formatting approval prior to obtaining committee signatures.
Resources and Additional Information
The Degree Completion staff members within the Graduate College are available to assist students with formatting questions and University regulations pertaining to a thesis or dissertation. However, they do not provide editing services. The Degree Completion staff is available by appointment or during walk-in hours. To schedule assistance with your manuscript, please email GraduateWriting@fau.edu or call 561-297-2817.
The Graduate College offers periodic workshops on Thesis and Dissertation writing and how to properly format a Thesis or Dissertation.
The Graduate College provides “Graduate College Resources for Academic Integrity” and “Originality Check Procedures”. The Graduate College provides students with access to TurnItIn accounts so that they can conduct self-checks of their theses or dissertations and create Originality Reports. Supervisory Committee Chairs also have the option to run manuscripts through plagiarism detection software. Please email GraduateWriting@fau.edu for access or assistance..
Click here to view Dissertation Defense Announcements for the current semester.