Thesis and Dissertation Guidelines
Thesis and Dissertation Guidelines are established and approved by the Graduate College in conjunction with the University Graduate Council (UGC). Click here to view Thesis and Dissertation Deadlines. Submission requirements are included in the guidelines. The checklist is a required document to be submitted with your final manuscript package.
|Graduate Thesis & Dissertation Guidelines (Effective Summer 2014)||
Thesis & Dissertation
Final Manuscript Package Checklist
The Graduate College provides “Graduate College Resources for Academic Integrity” and “Originality Check Procedures”.
The Graduate College provides students with access to TurnItIn accounts so that they can conduct self-checks of their theses or dissertations and create Originality Reports. Supervisory Committee Chairs also have the option to run manuscripts through plagiarism detection software.
Important Thesis or Dissertation Documents and Submission Requirements
All students are required to complete the following:
- Transmittal Memo (which certifies that a thesis or dissertation is free of plagiarism). Upon a successful defense, students should obtain obtain signatures from all committee members for their signature page and Transmittal Memo. (The deadline for this document is different for thesis and dissertation students - click here to see deadlines.)
- ETD - electronic thesis or dissertation (Students should submit their ETD after submitting their final manuscript package. See the deadlines for your graduation semester.)
All doctoral students must complete their mandatory SED (Survey for Earned Doctorates).
- Students can complete the online SED by calling 1-800-248-8649 or e-mailing SED@norc.org to receive registration information. After completing the online SED, students should receive SED completion confirmation. Students must print out SED completion confirmation and include a copy of it in their final manuscript package.
All students should include the following in their final manuscript package (Note: all students, regardless of whether they are submitting a paper copy(s) to their college/department, must submit a final manuscript package.) :
- A box with lid (for thesis and dissertations that require paper copies) OR a padded envelope
- Final manuscript checklist
- The ProQuest agreement - pages four and five - should be included in the final manuscript package (Click here to access the PDF of the ProQuest agreement.)
- All student must publish their thesis or dissertation. They must choose between the traditional publishing option or open access publishing option.
- A copy of the title page and the abstract
- Publishing fees (see ProQuest agreement)
- Binding fees (for students who are required to submit paper copy or copies)
- SED completion confirmation (for doctoral students only)
Please contact Diana Burgos for further information: email@example.com.
NOTE: The signature page format must be approved by the Graduate College prior to obtaining your committee's signatures.
The Graduate College offers periodic workshops on Thesis and Dissertation writing and how to properly format a Thesis or Dissertation.
The Degree Completion staff members within the Graduate College are available to assist students with formatting questions and University regulations pertaining to a thesis or dissertation. However, they do not provide editing services. The Degree Completion staff is available by appointment only. To schedule assistance with your manuscript, please email GraduateWriting@fau.edu.
Click here to view Dissertation Defense Announcements for the current semester.