Health and wellness are key components in making our student’s academic and personal experience at Florida Atlantic University (FAU) meaningful and successful. To help you achieve this, FAU sponsors a Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) for eligible students.
FAU continues to partner with Gallagher Student Health & Special Risk to assist us with managing our sponsored Student Health Insurance Program. Gallagher Student Health hosts the waiver and enrollment process at www.gallagherstudent.com/FAU.
The health insurance company is UnitedHealthcare StudentResources. UnitedHealthcare StudentResources has been a leading health insurance company for student health insurance plans for over 40 years.
Gallagher Student Health and UnitedHealthcare StudentResources also work with several other state university student health insurance programs – University of Central Florida, University of South Florida, Florida State University, to name a few.
ENROLLMENT AND WAIVER PROCESS FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
All International students and scholars with F and J non-immigrant status in the United States are required to have health insurance that meets the university’s requirements. Beginning with the new policy year, all international students will be enrolled in the university-sponsored Student Health Insurance Program (SHIP), and the insurance premium will be charged to the student’s FAU account.
International students who wish to use an alternate insurance plan must submit a waiver form by the deadline. Students who do not submit a waiver form by the deadline will have the premium for SHIP added to their student account.
- Coverage Period: Policies must provide, at a minimum, continuous coverage for the entire period the insured is enrolled as an eligible student, including annual breaks during that period. Payment of benefits must be renewable;
- Basic Benefits: Room, board, hospital services, physician fees, surgeon fees, ambulance, outpatient services, and outpatient customary fees must be paid at 80% or more of usual, customary, reasonable charge per accident or illness, after deductible is met, for in-network, and 70% or more of usual, customary, and reasonable charge for out-of-network providers per accident or illness;
- Inpatient Mental Health Care: Must be paid at 80% in-network or 60% out-of-network of the usual and customary fees with a minimum 30-day cap per benefit period;
- Outpatient Mental Health Care: Must be paid at 80% in-network or 60% out-of-network of the usual and customary fees for a minimum of 30 (preferably 40) sessions per year;
- Maternity Benefits: Must be treated as any other temporary medical condition and paid at no less than 80% of usual and customary fees in-network or 60% out-of-network;
- Repatriation: $25,000 (coverage to return the student’s remains to his/her native country);
- Medical Evacuation: $50,000 (to permit the patient to be transported to his/her home country and to be accompanied by a provider or escort, if directed by the physician in charge);
- Deductible: Maximum of $50 per occurrence if treatment or services are rendered at the Student Health Center; maximum of $100 per occurrence if treatment or services are rendered at an off-campus ambulatory care or hospital emergency department facility;
- Minimum coverage: $200,000 for covered injuries/illnesses per accident or illness per policy year;
- Insurance Carrier must, at a minimum, meet the rating requirements specified in Part 62.14(d) of Title 22 of the Code of Federal Regulations;
- Policy must not unreasonably exclude coverage for perils inherent to the student’s program of study;
- Claims must be paid in U.S. dollars payable on a U.S. financial institution;
- Policy provisions must be available from the insurer in English.
- Inpatient/Outpatient Prescription Medication: Must include coverage of $1,000 or more per policy year.
- Exclusion for Pre-existing Conditions: First six months of policy period, at most.
- Preventive care: Preventive care must be included.
To submit a waiver, go to www.gallagherstudent.com/FAU. Waiver portal will open Monday, November 9, 2020.
Deadlines to submit waivers for Spring 2021:
Spring 2021 Term 2 (begins February 13, 2021) -
Waiver deadline: Monday, February 1, 2021.
Your waiver form and supporting documentation will be reviewed to ensure you have coverage which meets the requirements above.
Download | 2020 - 2021 Student Health Insurance Plan - International (.pdf)
Download | 2020 - 2021 FAQ - International Students
ENROLLMENT PROCESS FOR DOMESTIC STUDENTS
Full-time domestic Undergraduate students (registered for a minimum of 12 credit hours), Graduate students (registered for a minimum of 9 credit hours) and students who are enrolled in the Medical School Program are eligible to enroll in the plan.
The deadline to purchase for Spring 2021 (effective January 1, 2021) is February 8, 2021.
To enroll, go to www.gallagherstudent.com/FAU and click on “Domestic Student Enrollment”.
Download | 2020 - 2021 Student Health Insurance Plan - Domestic Students (.pdf)
Download | 2020-2021 FAQ - Domestic Students
Please direct questions concerning the FAU student health insurance to Gallagher Student Health & Special Risk at 833-468-9571 or www.gallagherstudent.com/FAU.
ENROLLMENT PROCESS FOR GAs, GRAs and GTAs
FAU’s 2020-2021 Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) for full time Graduate Assistants, Graduate Teaching Assistants, and Graduate Research Assistants (GAs, GRAs, and GTAs) will be provided through UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company and underwritten by Gallagher Student Health and Special Risk. Gallagher Student Health and Special Risk also works with several other state university student health insurance programs. Beginning in Fall 2020, FAU will pay for 75% of the annual SHIP premium cost; the remaining 25% of the annual premium cost will be pro-rated by term and charged to the student account. For more information, please click here.