Resources for Online Consultations
Online appointments give you the flexibility of working with consultants at any of our writing centers from your home or office. These appointments are conducted using voice and video connections via Skype. If you do not have Skype installed on your computer, please click here to download it now.
To aid you in this process, we ask that you comply with the following when creating an online appointment:
1) When scheduling your online appointment in TutorTrac:
- Select "Online Consultation" from the "Reason" drop-down menu.
- Provide your Skype Username in the "Notes" field.
- Provide your name and phone number.
2) Online consultations must be one hour in length. Create two consecutive half-hour appointments.
3) Update your computer with the latest version of Skype.
4) Have your digital microphone and optional webcam plugged in to your computer before opening Skype.
5) Log in early to make sure the technology works correctly. (If you are having problems, please call your writing center location for help.)
6) At the time of the sesssion, open Skype. You will receive a contact request from "UCEWatFAU." Accept this request. You will then receive a call from that username. Answer this call and the session will commence from there.
7) Make sure to have a digital copy of your paper and assignments ready to upload to your OWL Apps Google Docs. When you upload the paper, be sure to allow Google Docs to convert your paper to their Google Docs format. You will need to share your paper with your consultant. Further instructions will be provided by the consultant at the time of the upload.
8) Expect to spend part of your first online session becoming familiar with the technology.
9) Remember that online appointments can be made in any UCEW Schedule-Boca, Davie, or Jupiter. If one location is booked for your time, try another location.
We hope that our online appointment services give you greater access to our writing services. We look forward to assisting you with all your writing needs! If you are having or anticipate having technical difficulties with your online session, be sure to call the writing center at which you have your online appointment. The phone numbers are listed here.