Effective January 1st, 2014, we are no longer requiring an Open Records Letter for memberships joined or renewed on or after 1/1/14. Please note that this change reflects the documentation requirement only and does not alter the appropriateness of subscribing to any particular organization or their public records obligations. Florida Statutes 119.01(3) provide that whenever public funds are used for the payment of dues or membership contributions all the financial, business, and membership records of that person, corporation, foundation, trust, association, group, or other organization which pertain to the public agency are public records. All memberships still require a “Benefit to State” statement along with the requisition or pCard receipt.
Registrations and Organizational Memberships may be processed using a university issued pCard VISA Card. While this is the preferred method of payment, Purchasing will continue to accept requisitions as well. As always, please ensure that these, and all other charges, are appropriate expenditures on your default pCard account and that you have the proper departmental approval, as required. The following guidelines shall apply:
- pCard Cardholders may place registrations directly with the organization either in person, by phone, fax, Internet or by mailing the registration form.
- A copy of the registration form will serve as the receipt and should be forwarded immediately to the pCard Cardholders Approver or retained by the pCard Cardholder for scanning and attaching into Workday when reconciling the pCard Expense Report. Each registration receipt/form must include the name of the conference, the date(s), the person(s) attending and Personnel Z #(s), conference location and cost.
- A "Benefit to State" justification shall be written on the registration form. This justification, along with the registration form, shall constitute a "receipt" and be scanned into Workday and attached to the Expense Report when the pCard charge is reconciled.
- Group registrations may be charged to a single card provided the individual participants are broken down by line and there is a name and Personnel Z # for each in the description field. Be sure to retain the benefit to state and registration form as your receipt.
- pCard Expense Report Spend Category: Select a Workday Spend Category of Registration Fees or Conference Registration Fees, as appropriate.
Organizational Memberships & Dues:
- Florida Statutes 119.01(3) states that public funds used for the payment of dues or membership contributions for any person, corporation, foundation, trust, association, group, or other organization, all financial, business, and membership records of that person, corporation, foundation, trust, association, group or other organization which pertain to the public agency are public records. Effective January 1, 2014 the Open Records Letter is NO LONGER required.
- Membership dues and/or renewal forms may be placed directly with the organization in person, by phone, fax, Internet or by mailing the appropriate payment form. The membership form must indicate group, departmental or organizational membership unless an individual membership is available at a lower cost and is desired. The following documents shall serve as the pCard receipt and must be forwarded immediately to the pCard Cardholders Approver or retained by the pCard Cardholder for scanning and attaching into Workday when reconciling the pCard Expense report for the payment of membership dues:
Completed membership form
Benefit to State (see Registrations above)
- pCard Expense Spend Category: Select a Workday Spend Category of Departmental Memberships or Individual Memberships, as appropriate.
Send comments to Ed Schiff, email@example.com.