Effective January 1st, 2014, we are no longer requiring an Open Records Letter for memberships joined or renewed on or after 1/1/14. Please note that this change reflects the documentation requirement only and does not alter the appropriateness of subscribing to any particular organization or their public records obligations. Florida Statutes 119.01(3) provide that whenever public funds are used for the payment of dues or membership contributions all the financial, business, and membership records of that person, corporation, foundation, trust, association, group, or other organization which pertain to the public agency are public records. All memberships still require a “Benefit to State” statement along with the requisition or pCard receipt.
Registrations and Organizational Memberships may be processed using a university issued pCard VISA Card. While this is the preferred method of payment, Purchasing will continue to accept requisitions as well. As always, please ensure that these, and all other charges, are appropriate expenditures on your default pCard account and that you have the proper departmental approval, as required. The following guidelines shall apply:
- pCard Cardholders may place registrations directly with the organization either in person, by phone, fax, Internet or by mailing the registration form. The VISA account number should be properly indicated on the form.
- A copy of the registration form will serve as the receipt and should be forwarded immediately to the area Approver. Each registration form must include the name of the conference, the date(s), the person(s) attending and Personnel Z #(s), conference location and cost.
- A "Benefit to State" justification shall be written and sent to the Approver along with the registration form. This justification, along with the registration form, shall constitute a "receipt" and be retained by the area Approver for a period of five (5) years.
- Approver Note : Use object code 261090 for registrations that are in-state and 262090 for out-of-state. Group registrations may be charged to a single card provided the individual participants are broken down by line and there is a name and Personnel Z # for each in the description field. Be sure to retain the benefit to state and registration form as your receipt.
Organizational Memberships & Dues:
- Florida Statutes 119.01(3) states that public funds used for the payment of dues or membership contributions for any person, corporation, foundation, trust, association, group, or other organization, all financial, business, and membership records of that person, corporation, foundation, trust, association, group or other organization which pertain to the public agency are public records. Effective January 1, 2014 the Open Records Letter is NO LONGER required.
- Membership dues and/or renewal forms may be placed directly with the organization in person, by phone, fax, Internet or by mailing the appropriate payment form. The membership form must indicate group, departmental or organizational membership unless an individual membership is available at a lower cost and is desired. The following documents shall serve as the pCard receipt and must be forwarded to the area Approver immediately upon the payment of membership dues:
Completed membership form
Benefit to State (see Registrations above)
- Approver Note: Use object code 493040 for organizational memberships. If you are approving an individual membership, use 493000. Be sure to retain the benefit to state with your membership form as receipt.