PERSONAL SAFETY IN PARKING LOTS
- Walk to your vehicle in pairs or in a group.
- Vary your routine; use a different route, different times.
- Follow a well-lit pathway or roadway
- Be aware of your surroundings. Watch for suspicious people or activities.
- Use the Nightowls escort service. 561-297-6695.
- Be aware of the locations of all telephones on campus and blue light phones in parking lots. Use them if you are concerned or feel your safety is in jeopardy.
- When you enter your vehicle, lock all the doors and turn on your headlights. This will allow you to see anyone outside in the dark.
- If you are unfamiliar with the parking lot, drive through it and check it first. If you don’t feel safe, go elsewhere and wait for someone else to arrive.
- Have your keys in your hand so that you don’t have to search for them when you reach your vehicle.
- When you know you will be returning to your vehicle late at night, try to park close to a light standard of in a well-lit area.
- Before getting into your vehicle, visually inspect the interior for anything suspicious.
- Report any safety concerns to the University Police Department.
- Do not offer rides to strangers.
- If you suspect that someone is following you, drive to the nearest open public place or to the Campus Police.
- Do not leave valuables on the seat. Lock them in the trunk.