University Police* NightOwls - You don't have to walk alone at night on campus. Simply call for a NightOwls escort to accompany you to any University location. The NightOwls are in direct communication with the FAU Police Department and so can summon police assistance quickly in emergency situations. This free service can be reached at 561-297-6695.
* Code Blue phones - Code Blue telephones are located at various locations and may be used to report an emergency or get information. These phones are clearly marked and are directly connected to the FAU Police Department dispatcher.
* Rape Aggression Defense (R.A.D.) - This program, which is offered by the police department several times a year, is a practical, self-defense course for women. It stresses education and prevention tactics that increase a woman's chances for avoiding or surviving violent encounters, such as assaults and abduction attempts. For more information on this program, call 561-297-3500 or go to http://www.fau.edu/police/rad.php
* Walk to your vehicle in pairs or in a group.
* Vary your routine; use a different route, different times.
* Follow a well-lit pathway or roadway.
* Be aware of your surroundings. Watch for suspicious people or activities.
* Be aware of the locations of all telephones on campus and in parking lots. Use them if you are concerned or feel your safety is in jeopardy.
* When you enter your vehicle, lock all the doors and turn on your headlights. This will allow you to see anyone outside in the dark.
* If you are unfamiliar with the parking lot, drive through it and check it first. If you don't feel safe, go elsewhere and wait for someone else to arrive.
* Have your keys in your hand so that you don't have to search for them when you reach your vehicle.
* When you know you will be returning to your vehicle late at night, try to park in a well-lit area.
* Before getting into your vehicle, visually inspect the interior for anything suspicious.
* Report any safety concerns to the University Police Department or the local police department.
* Do not offer rides to strangers.
* If you suspect that someone is following you, drive to the nearest open public place, to the University Police or the local police department.
If you have questions about any aspect of safety and security at FAU or have information that may be helpful to police, please call the FAU Police Department at 561-297-3500.