CONTACT: Lisa Freed
FAU's Center for Civic Engagement Hosts Volunteer Week
BOCA RATON, FL (April 11, 2008) – Florida Atlantic University’s Center for Civic Engagement and Service (CCES) and Students Advocating Volunteer Involvement (SAVI) will host “Volunteer Week.” Beginning Monday, April 14 through Saturday, April 19, the FAU community will have the opportunity to participate in a series of volunteer-related events at FAU’s Boca Raton campus, 777 Glades Road.
The goal of Volunteer Week is to create awareness about the needs of the general community and how FAU students, faculty and staff can fulfill those needs. Students who participate will have the option to receive community service hours posted to their curricular transcripts.
“We are doing this because we want all of FAU to realize that volunteering should be a part of their college life and can help them gain experience in their career choices,” said Jose Herrera, program assistant for CCES. “It’s also about showing our students that we can have fun when we volunteer.”
The Volunteer Week schedule is as follows:
Monday, April 14: Breezeway Day – “Get Carded, Get Kissed”
10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Breezeway
The FAU community will have the opportunity to register to become an organ donor.
Tuesday, April 15: “Community Owls”
Students, faculty and staff will have the chance to volunteer with the following organizations:
- “Kids and Crafts” at the YMCA: Volunteers will meet in front of the Student Union at 3 p.m. They will create crafts with children until 5:30 p.m. at the YMCA, 6631 Palmetto Circle South, Boca Raton.
- Boca Helping Hands: Volunteers will meet in front of the Student Union at 8 a.m. Students will help out with the Soup Kitchen, as well as prepare and serve food until 1 p.m. at Boca Helping Hands, 127 NW 13th St., Boca Raton.
Wednesday, April 16: “Community Owls”
- “Kids with Special Needs and Crafts” at the YMCA: Volunteers will meet in front of the Student Union at 3 p.m. They will create crafts with special needs children until 5:30 p.m. at the YMCA, 6631 Palmetto Circle South, Boca Raton.
- FAU vs. University of Miami Baseball Game: Starts at 6:30 p.m. at the FAU Baseball Stadium. Bring one-canned food item to benefit Boca Helping Hands. The FAU community also can sponsor a child from the Haven for $6.
Thursday, April 17: “Go Streaking – Not Really”
Faculty, staff and students will meet in front of the FAU Bookstore at 11:45 a.m., and the run will begin at noon. Volunteers will run to the FAU pool adjacent to the FAU Arena, and strip down to their bathing suits as they run. The clothes they take off will be donated to the Haven and Aid to Victims of Domestic Abuse (AVDA). There will be a pool party at the pool following the run.
A banquet, to be held in the Live Oak Pavilion at 5:30 p.m., is to honor all volunteers that participated in the week’s activities.
*Friday, April 18: Habitat for Humanity
Faculty, staff and students will meet in front of the Student Union at 7:30 a.m. and travel to a location in Boynton Beach until noon to help build a home for a needy family. Location will be determined the day of the event.
For more information, contact Jose Herrera at 561-297-3607 or firstname.lastname@example.org , or visit www.fauvolunteer.org/events.aspx.
* The FAU Financial Management Association (FMA), a club for business majors, in conjunction with Habitat for Humanity, also will be building a house at 3628 Kitely Ave. in Boynton Beach on April 19 and 20, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. as part of FMA@FAU days. For more information, contact Alvin Wander at 561-271-3885 or email@example.com.