Master of Fine Arts in Visual Art: Ceramics, Drawing, Painting, Printmaking, Photography, Sculpture and Book Arts
These programs are designed to incorporate courses in the area of concentration as well as other studio arts areas should the student desire this type of flexibility. Graduates of the programs will be prepared for careers as professional artists. The programs will provide opportunities for students to develop their interests and talents at the terminal degree level.
1. Bachelor of Fine Arts, Bachelor of Arts, or equivalent degree.
2. The minimum University admission requirements are either 1) a “B” average or better in all work attempted while registered as an upper-division student working for a bachelor’s degree; 2) a graduate degree from an accredited institution.
4. Official college transcript(s) submitted to FAU’s Graduate College.
Applicants must submit the following to the departmental Graduate Coordinator, Dorothy F. Schmidt College of Arts and Letters, Florida Atlantic University, Department of Visual Arts and Art History, AH 52, Room 118, 777 Glades Road, Boca Raton, FL 33431.
1. A statement of intent (stating area of concentration) and brief résumé.
2. Three letters of recommendation (preferably from previous instructors and/or professionals familiar with applicant’s academic and artistic background).
3. Portfolio of 20 slides/CD images of recent work in area of concentration. A maximum of four details and/or alternate views is acceptable. Applications for painting must include a minimum of two details. Each image should be identified with name, medium, size, date, and the top of the image indicated. CD images must include ID information on disk and a printed description sheet.
4. Copy of official transcript.
5. CD will be returned if accompanied by sufficient postage and self-addressed envelope.
6. The online and postmarked deadline for applications is February 21st for fall admission only.
Completed admission portfolios must be submitted directly to the Department of Visual Arts and Art History. The Graduate College will be notified by the department of the evaluation results and will notify candidates. Only completed portfolios and application packets will be considered.