Goals and Objectives
Goal I: Enrich the Educational Experience
Florida Atlantic University is a learning-centered community committed to continual improvement of the University educational experience. FAU provides high-quality academic programs that develop critical thinking skills that are essential for lifelong learning, professional success, and meeting the responsibilities of an educated citizenry. The University is also committed to providing the academic support services and student life opportunities that promote success.
- Enhance the quality of undergraduate academic programs
- Strengthen and expand graduate programs
- Invest in the faculty
- Support an organizational culture in which all units are dedicated to student success
- Create and maintain campus life programs and experiences that support student success
Goal II: Inspire Research, Scholarship and Creative Activity
FAU faculty and researchers conduct research, scholarship and creative activities that are based on inquiry, experimentation and innovation and, in so doing, provide the foundation for vibrant academic experiences for students. They also make vital contributions to the economic development of the southeastern Florida region and the rest of the nation. As a University in a region where environmental and demographic issues facing the nation have emerged first, FAU has the opportunity for its intellectual activity to provide stewardship of its own geographic region as well as to provide leadership in identifying emerging issues in the nation and the world. The University encourages its faculty and researchers to contribute to dialogues, innovations and solutions. To capitalize on the opportunities fully, FAU aspires to attain the Carnegie Foundation category of “very high research universities.” Such universities are characterized by substantial external research funding, a broad and balanced portfolio of PhD programs, and a somewhat larger faculty and research staff than that of FAU today. The objectives and strategies listed below will move FAU substantially toward this aspiration.
- Increase scholarship and creativity
- Increase funded research
- Enhance the regard and visibility of our research, scholarship and creativity
- Strengthen and support interdisciplinary research and its visibility in the University
- Involve students at all levels in research, scholarship and creative activity.
- Foster new types of research funding
Goal III: Increase FAU’s Community Engagement
Florida Atlantic University will increasingly become a force for positive change through the leadership and actions of its faculty, staff, and students and will be a full participant in the life of its seven-county service region. The University can and should be a source of pride in the community. It will encourage regional cooperation and sustainability and will build partnerships in key areas of community need. FAU will enrich lives through cultural/recreational events, scholarship, lifelong learning, and public service that are intended to promote diversity and the welfare of the surrounding communities.
- Enrich the educational and cultural experiences for students, faculty and the surrounding communities
- Increase the number of community partnerships
- Focus on the unique opportunities of FAU’s stewardship of place
- Focus resources on increasing FAU’s support to the communities it serves
Goal IV: Leverage momentum toward achieving FAU’s strategic goals by being good stewards of its human, technological, physical and financial resources.
FAU is committed to reaching new heights and becoming a preeminent institution by implementing strategic choices that result in growth and enhanced stature. For this to occur it is essential that the institution plan on ensuring the viability of its financial and other resources.
This will allow FAU to embrace excellence and change when it is needed, and to support high performance and innovation when opportunities present themselves. Goal IV lays the foundation for the University to make continued investments in improvements and innovation.
- Create outstanding financial management practices and infrastructure to support FAU’s core mission
- Adopt business practices that increase productivity, maximize efficiencies and lower overhead
- Provide funding to attract and retain diverse highly productive faculty and staff
- Build and sustain a state-of-the–art Information Technology Infrastructure
- Plan physical structures and campus development initiatives that support improved learning and work environments
- Increase fundraising to support FAU initiatives