Health and wellness are key components in making our student’s academic and personal experience at Florida Atlantic University (FAU) meaningful and successful. To help you achieve this, FAU sponsors a Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) for eligible students.
For the 2019-2020 academic year, there are important changes to the SHIP program that need to be brought to your attention: FAU is excited to partner with Gallagher Student Health & Special Risk to assist us with managing our sponsored Student Health Insurance Program. A key feature for the upcoming year is Gallagher Student Health will host the waiver and enrollment process at www.gallagherstudent.com/FAU.
The health insurance company will change from Aetna to UnitedHealthcare StudentResources. UnitedHealthcare StudentResources has been a leading health insurance company for student health insurance plans for over 40 years. Though the insurance company has changed, there are no benefit changes to the plan.
Gallagher Student Health and UnitedHealthcare StudentResources also work with several other state university student health insurance programs – University of Central Florida, University of South Florida, Florida State University, to name a few.
NEW ENROLLMENT AND WAIVER PROCESS FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
All International students and scholars with F and J non-immigrant status in the United States are required to have health insurance that meets the Florida Board of Governor’s requirements. Beginning with the new policy year, international students will be enrolled in the university-sponsored Student Health Insurance Program (SHIP), and the insurance premium will be charged to the student’s FAU account.
International students who wish to use an alternate insurance plan must submit a waiver form by the deadline. Students who do not submit a waiver form by the deadline will have the premium for SHIP added to their student account.
- Claims: The alternate policy has a claims agent located in the United States.
- Coverage Period: Policy must provide, at a minimum, continuous coverage for the entire period the insured is enrolled as an eligible student, including annual breaks during that period. Policy is prepaid and/or non-cancelable for the entire coverage period. Payment of benefits cannot be limited to a specific period of time (i.e., must be renewable).
NOTE: For students beginning enrollment at FAU in the Spring or Summer terms, coverage must extend from at least the beginning of the term started to the third week of August. For students graduating in the Fall term, coverage must extend through the first week of January.
- Basic Benefits: Room, board, hospital services, physician fees, surgeon fees, ambulance, outpatient services, and outpatient customary fees must be paid at 80% or more of usual, customary, reasonable charge per accident or illness, after deductible is met, for in-network, and 70% or more of usual, customary, and reasonable charge for out-of-network providers per accident or illness.
- Inpatient Mental Health Care: Must be paid at 80% in-network or 60% out-of-network of the usual and customary fees with a minimum 30 day cap per benefit period.
- Outpatient Mental Health Care: Must be paid at 80% in-network or 60% out-of-network of the usual and customary fees for a minimum of 30 (preferably 40) sessions per year.
- Maternity Benefits: Must be treated as any other temporary medical condition and paid at no less than 80% of usual and customary fees in network or 60% out-of-network.
- Inpatient/Outpatient Prescription Medication: Offers coverage of $1000 or more.
- Exclusion for Pre-Existing Conditions: First six months of policy period, at most.
- Deductible: Maximum of $50 per occurrence if treatment or services are rendered at FAU Student Health Services, maximum of $100 per occurrence if treatment or services are rendered at an off-campus ambulatory care or hospital emergency department facility, or $400 cumulative per policy year.
- Minimum coverage: $200,000 for covered injuries/illnesses per accident or illness, per policy year, with no internal caps or limitations for covered injuries or illnesses.
- Insurance Carrier must have an “A” rating or above per Part 62.14(d) of Title 22 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
- Policy must not unreasonably exclude coverage for perils inherent to the student’s program of study.
- Claims must be paid in U.S. dollars payable on a U.S. financial institution.
- Policy provisions must be available from the insurer in English.
- Policy premiums shall be refundable if student is no longer eligible for policy (in no other instances shall the policy be refundable.
- *Repatriation: $25,000 (coverage to return the student’s remains to his/her native country).
- *Medical Evacuation: $50,000 (to permit the patient to be transported to his/her home country and to be accompanied by a provider or escort, if directed by the physician in charge).
To submit a waiver, go to www.gallagherstudent.com/FAU and click on “International Student Waiver”. The website and online forms will be available TBA.
The deadline to submit your waiver for Fall 2020 is TBA.
FAU will review your waiver form and supporting documentation to ensure you have coverage comparable to the FAU student health plan.
Download | 2019 - 2020 Student Health Insurance Plan - International (.pdf)
Download | 2019 - 2020 FAQ - International Students
NEW ENROLLMENT PROCESS FOR DOMESTIC STUDENTS
Full-time domestic Undergraduate students (registered for a minimum of 12 credit hours), Graduate students (registered for a minimum of 9 credit hours) and students who are enrolled in the Medical School Program are eligible to enroll in the plan. To enroll, go to www.gallagherstudent.com/FAU and click on “Domestic Student Enrollment”. The website and online forms will be available NOVEMBER 4, 2019.
The deadline to purchase for Spring 2020 is JANUARY 30, 2020
Download | 2019 - 2020 Student Health Insurance Plan - Domestic Students
Download | 2019-2020 FAQ - Domestic Students
Please direct questions concerning the FAU student health insurance to Gallagher Student Health & Special Risk at 833-468-9571 or www.gallagherstudent.com/FAU.