GPSA Silhouette      

Travel request are approved subject to available funding.

Graduate Student Travel Policy - FAQ

1. What can I receive travel funds for?

Students can receive travel funding for three (3) primary objectives:

Present at or attend a conference, convention, seminar, workshop or professional event related to your studies

2. What do I include in my travel application?

Please include AND label all forms in the following order:

Graduate Travel Application Checklist

Release of Liability/Student Code of Conduct

Student authored letter of Travel Justification

Faculty Advisor Letter of Support

Conference Confirmation of Registration Receipt (if attending or presenting at a conference, workshop, etc.)

Proof of Presenting (if presenting)

Quotes for all Eligible Expenses being requested

Form 14 (If applicable see FAQ # 11 below)

3. What expenses are eligible for reimbursement?

Airfare & Baggage Fees

Hotel Costs

Registration Fees

Rental Car - Must be Enterprise

Gas, if driving a rental car

Parking, if driving a rental car

Local transportation within destination city (taxi, subway, shuttle, etc.)

4. What expenses are not eligible for reimbursement?

Food or other per diem costs

Membership Fees

GPSA cannot reimburse you for expenses not paid by you.  Expenses paid by somone else or a department are not reimburseable.

Expense booked through discount travel agencies (Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, etc.) that are not itemized will not be reimbursed. if requesting reimbursement

Expenses where hotel receipts do not include official hotel letterhead and and that are not itemized will not be reimbursed; hotel receipts must include a daily breakdown of expenses, including room rate & all taxes.

Reward points/miles, prepaid gas receipts and handwritten receipts are not acceptable or eligible for reimbursement.

Anything not listed in the previous "eligible expenses" question is not eligible for reimbursement.

5. Where do I turn in my travel application?

Apply online here.

6. How am I reimbursed?

Apply online here.

Please keep your Badges and your Agenda/Schedule.  At present time, both are required for reimbursement.

7. How much funding can I receive?

Each student is eligible to receive up to $800.00 per fiscal year. Students can receive funding for up to two (2) trips per fiscal year.

Maximum award amounts per trip:

Primary Author Presenting or Research Travel:

International (outside North America) = $800.00

North America & Caribbean = $600.00

Florida = $400.00

Attending or Secondary Author Presenting:

International (outside North America) = $200.00

North America & Caribbean = $200.00

Florida = $200.00

NOTE: The award amounts listed are maximums, not guaranteed rates. All applications are reviewed by the GPSA Travel Committee with the intention to assist the most students in the greatest capacity possible.

8. Where can I travel?

GPSA funds graduate student travel all across Florida, the United States and international locations. Please review the US Department of State Travel Warning List for international destinations which require review and pre-approval by the Florida Atlantic University Travel Safety & Security Committee.

If your destination is on the Travel Warning List, please notify the GPSA Administrative Coordinator at the time of your application's submission or email for questions.

9. What if I am not requesting funding from GPSA to travel; do I still need to get approval to travel?

Please click here to fill out a Notification to Travel form if you are not requesting fudning.   This is especially important for students traveling to international location on the US Department of State Travel Warning List, for you will need to have your travel approved.  If you are not traveling internationally then your notification to travel is kept on file and you are not required to have approval.

10. Who is eligible to receive travel funding from GPSA?

All full time, degree-seeking graduate & professional students taking a minimum of 9 graduate credits in the Fall and Spring and 6 credits in the Summer. If below full time status, put a Form 14 on file with the Graduate College. Additionally, undergraduate students who are active members of GPSOs may apply (See GPSO Travel section below).

Must have a minimum 3.0 GPA and be in good academic standing. Must not have a past due balance with the university. Must not be on conduct probation. 

11. When do I turn in my travel application?

There are 2 dates you need to be concerned with: the first date you can apply and the last day you can apply/the deadline. The first date you can apply is explained in the table below. The last day you can apply depends on a certain number of weeks prior to your departure date. Submitting an application earlier rather than later increases your chances of being funded to the fullest extent.

Domestic travel = minimum of 5 weeks before departure date is the last day to apply.

International travel = minimum of 6 weeks before departure date is the last day to apply.


Required Documents

(please read the travel policy before you submit the forms)
NOTIFICATION TO TRAVEL (Not requesting a travel funding award; only seeking permission to travel)
 Last Modified 11/8/16