University-Wide Student Travel
All requests by Student Government, SG Programs, Registered Student Organizations or FAU students, for individual or group travel related to the University, must be registered and submitted through an application process to the Student Travel Committee and approved by the Vice President for Student Affairs or designee. Travel request are approved subject to available funding.
How to Apply for Student Travel
Used when no funds are being requested.
For information on applying for graduate student travel.
Undergraduate Research and Inquiry(URI) Travel Frequently Asked Questions
Research, Inquiry, and Creative Activity defined as it relates to this travel process:
- Presenting original work at a conference directly related to your undergraduate major/research/creative activity.
- Performing/Exhibiting at conference/event directly related to your undergraduate major/research/creative activity.
- Competing at conference/event directly related to your undergraduate major/research/creative activity.
- Facilitating or leading a workshop/clinic at a conference that is directly related to your undergraduate major/research/creative activity.
- All travelers must be FAU undergraduate students in good standing with the university with a minimum 2.5 GPA (please review the SG Student Travel Procedures for more information and a complete list of SG eligibility requirements).
- Travelers must be considered a full-time undergraduate student unless in their last semester (please use the Appeals Process if this is the case if your travel application is denied).
- Travelers must set-up direct deposit/ACH with FAU to be eligible to receive URI travel funds, if not already active.
- For Student Government Requests: Travelers must apply online for travel funding via Owl Central at least 20 business days in advance of their travel. Click “Forms” on the ASAB Owl Central page to access the applications.
NOTE: Some of these items will have to be handed in or emailed to the appropriate office (see chart below) prior to your application being submitted for approval. Keep that in mind when choosing which day to apply for funding.
- Confirmation of being accepted to present, perform, compete, or facilitate an original work/project/paper from the host event.
- A description of the conference/event from the conference website.
- A one-page abstract on your presentation/performance.
- A letter of support from your Faculty Advisor.
- Completed online application by choosing “Forms” the ASAB Owl Central page.
- Student Travel Code of Conduct form, and Release of Liability, Waiver of Claims, Express Assumption of Risks, and Hold Harmless Agreement form.
NOTE: All expenses must be paid by you, out of pocket, up front. All receipts must be itemized.
- Airfare and baggage fees.
- Hotel costs.
- Conference registration fees - but not for membership fees.
- Enterprise rental car.
- Mileage, if driving personal vehicle – map showing point of origin to destination is required.
- Gas, if driving an Enterprise rental car - subject to conditions.
- Parking - subject to conditions.
- Local transportation within destination city (taxi, subway, shuttle, etc.)
- URI cannot reimburse you for expenses paid by faculty p-Card, your department, spouse or family members or anyone else besides yourself.
- Any travel expenses purchased through any travel agency including but not limited to Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire.com, Hotels.com, etc.
- Car rental from any company other than those on State contract.
- Expenses where the receipt does not indicate the vendor was paid by you directly.
- Expenses where the receipt is not provided on the vendor's letter head.
- Food or other per diem costs.
- Membership Fees.
- Hotel receipts that are NOT on official hotel letterhead that is stationery which include an itemized daily breakdown of expenses, including room rate amd all taxes.
- Reward points/miles, prepaid gas receipts and handwritten receipts are not acceptable or eligible for reimbursement.
- Anything not listed in the previous "eligible expenses" question is not eligible for reimbursement.
You must submit your travel application, and all supporting documents at least 20 business days prior to your planned departure date by choosing “Forms” on the ASAB Owl Central page.
|Student/Student Group||Appropriate Office|
|Undergraduate Student Research Travel
(see examples under number panel "What is Research? How do I know if my presentation qualifies for research?")
|Travel Application: ASAB Owl Central page
Questions directed to A&S Accounting and Budgeting Office: email@example.com
Boca Raton: Student Union, room 221
ENROLL with Enterprise/National as a user of the state’s Rental Vehicles Contract.
- Call the state-dedicated toll-free customer service number at 877-690-0064, or
- Visit the Emerald Club enrollment portal: https://www.nationalcar.com/offer/NA41042
- Select “Emerald Club enrollment” on the homepage
- Select “ENROLL NOW”
- Enter the required information in the Emerald Club Enrollment form
- If no existing profile was found in the system, continue by entering your additional information in the required fields
- Click “submit” to complete your enrollment
RESERVE your rental car with Enterprise/National.
- Visit the reservation portal: https://partner.rentalcar.com/StateofFlorida, or
- Call the state-dedicated toll-free customer service number at 877-690-0064.
- If you have questions or concerns about Enterprise/National reservations, rates, billing or new account creation, please call the State of Florida customer service number at 877-690-0064.
Arrange to meet with URI Travel Coordinator within 10 business days of your return date, to submit all receipts for reimbursement.
*For Student Government Travel Reimbursements: upon return, each student seeking reimbursement has 10 business days to submit their reimbursement application online by choosing “Forms” on the ASAB Owl Central page.
- All receipts must be originals, and be clearly itemized and organized.
- Students rooming together and splitting hotel costs must EACH provide detailed itemized receipts from the hotel. These receipts must include all lodging costs paid for by each traveler, and must have individualized names and payment information.
- Evidence of attendance at the conference/event must be provided. This can be the program with your name/group listed as presenting /performing/competing; your conference/event ID badge/credential; etc.
Please review the SG Student Travel Procedures for any additional requirements. We do encourage all who are awarded an URI Travel grant to present at the annual Undergraduate Symposium held every spring on the Boca Campus. If you have any additional questions about the Student Government URI Travel Funding program, please contact OURI at firstname.lastname@example.org or 561-297-6874.
To apply for undergraduate research student travel.
For information on applying for non-research related undergraduate student travel.
Complete this form if your Travel Application Request or Request for Travel Reimbursement was not approved.