According to the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services, I am a permanent resident alien or other legal alien granted indefinite stay and I have maintained a domicile in Florida for at least 12 months.
* Required: Permanent resident aliens and other legal aliens granted indefinite stay by the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration may be considered for reclassification providing they submit all appropriate documentation.The student must also meet Florida residency criteria.
For a permanent resident alien, acceptable documentation includes:
- A copy of the front and back of your and claimant's (for dependent students) resident alien card, Employment Authorization Card OR
- Proof of issuance of an I-551, OR
- A copy of your I-485 indicating approval for a change in status.
For an international student, proof of visa status is required only the following categories of visa holders are eligible for reclassification consideration. All others are ineligible to establish Florida residency for tuition purposes.
- Visa category A - Government official.
- Visa category E - Treaty trader or investor.
- Visa category G- Representative of international organization.
- Visa category H-1 - Temporary worker performing professional nursing services or in a specialty occupation.
- Visa category H-4 Only if spouse or child of alien is classified H-1.
- Visa category I - Foreign information media representative.
- Visa category K - Fiancé, fiancée or child of a United States citizen
- Visa category L - Intra-company transferee (including spouse or child)
- Visa category N - Parent or child of alien accorded special immmigrant status
- Visa category O-1 - Workers of "extraordinary" ability in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics
- Visa category O-3 - Only if spouse or child of alien is classified O-1
- Visa category R - Religious workers
- Visa category NATO I-7 - Representatives of NATO and their families
- Visa category T - Victims of trafficking, who cooperate with federal authorities in prosecutions of traffickers, and their spouses and children
- Visa category V - Spouses and children of lawful permanent residents.
Non-U.S. citizens in the following categories are also eligible to establish Florida residency for tuition purposes.
- Citizens of Micronesia
- Citizens of the Marshall Islands
- Beneficiaries of the Family Unity Program
- Individuals granted temporary protected status
- Individuals granted withholding of deportation status
- Individuals granted suspension of deportation status or cancellation of removal
- Individuals granted a stay of deportation status
- Individuals granted deferred action status
- Individuals granted deferred enforced departure status
- Applicants for adjustment of status
- Asylum applicants with INS receipt or Immigration Court stamp