Completed Tasks of the QEP
QEP Initial Planning and Topic Selection
In fall 2010, the QEP Committee worked with university constituencies – faculty, students, staff, alumni, members of the local community – in encouraging discussions and soliciting ideas through the QEP website. The team provided assistance in identifying data that address institutional needs in the area of student learning. Common themes were identified and were set out to be addressed through the QEP.
Step 1 - Initial Planning (COMPLETED)
1. Inform university community about the process (Fall 2010)
- Meet with faculty assemblies of each college
- Hold open forum with students, faculty, staff
2. Establish QEP Committee (October 2010)
- Co-chaired by Buller and Pratt
- Faculty from each college
- Selected student representatives
3. Institutional Learning Assessment (Fall 2010)
- Review IEA survey/assessment results, Strategic Plan. Identify potential QEP areas.
- Discuss results with QEP committee
4. Develop QEP website (Fall 2010)
- Step 1: Develop FAQs page; identify locations of IEA survey/assessment results, Strategic Plan (early October 2010)
- Step 2: Web page to solicit ideas identifying problems in student learning and/or ways to improve student learning or the environment supporting student learning (early October 2010).
- Step 3: Summarize and post results of institutional survey (December 15, 2010)
- Step 4: Summarize and post web submissions (December 15, 2010)
Step 2 - Topic Selection (COMPLETED)
In Fall 2010, Dr. Edward Pratt, dean of undergraduate studies and Dr. Jeffrey Buller, dean of the Wilkes Honors College co-chaired the initiative to select the topic of the Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP). 15 proposals were submitted to the QEP Selections Committee
1. QEP Pre-Proposal Selection Process
- Request for pre-proposals (January 2011). Establish guidelines for submission, length (2 pages). Based on QEP Committee’s review of survey/assessment results and Strategic Plan, encourage faculty to submit pre-proposals on particular topics. Deadline for submission – Friday, March 4, 2011.
- Review pre-proposals and select 3-4 finalists (March 18, 2011).
From the 15 proposals submitted, 3 proposals were chosen to move forward in the process. The leaders of the 3 final proposals were asked to further develop their proposals and submit final proposals to the QEP Selections Committee.
2. Development of Proposals
- Ask finalists to submit final proposals (6 pages), due April 15, 2011. Provide stipend.
- QEP Committee will work with finalists in establishing budget for their QEP.
- Presentation of proposals at forum for faculty, staff, students (late April, 2011).
3. Engage FAU community in QEP initiative
4. Submission of Proposals to Leadership Team (May 2011)
- QEP Committee will submit to Leadership Team final proposals (with estimated budgets for each), summary of institutional learning assessment results, summary of discussions at April forum, results of straw poll at April forum (May 1, 2011).
- Finalists will discuss proposal with Leadership Team (May 2011).
- Leadership Team will select QEP topic and choose QEP leader (June 1, 2011).
5. Topic selected: Integrating and expanding a culture of research, inquiry and creative activity, through the framework of an honors program"
- Presented by Dr. Donna Chamely-Wiik on behalf of faculty who developed this proposal
6. Dr. Edward Pratt and Dr. Jeff Buller appointed Dr. Donna Chamely-Wiik as the Director of the QEP
**We are now in Step 3 or the "Planning" phase of our process. A plan of action is to be determined by Spring 2013 so that it can begin to be implemented in Fall of 2013.