With the approval of their Vice President, the hiring department has the option to reimburse from their existing operating budget the moving expenses of newly hired University personnel. There is NO separate fund set aside to pay for moving expenses.
The following guidelines detail the extent of moving costs that may be reimbursed:
Payment for shipment of household goods shall be limited to a maximum gross weight of 15,000 pounds including motor vehicles.
The principal place of work must be at least 50 miles from former residence.
Move can be by a professional moving company, a state owned vehicle, or a rental truck or trailer (U-Haul, Ryder, etc.). The University will only directly reimburse SUS Contract Vendors for moving services.
A privately owned mobile home can also be moved if it is the primary residence.
Additional insurance beyond the normal federal minimum liability of the professional moving company is not reimbursable by the University.
When household goods are shipped by rental truck, the insurance coverage is limited to the vehicle only. No reimbursement will be made for the cost of the contents insurance.
Cleaning of any residence will not be paid for.
Packing of items to be moved will be paid for. However, unpacking charges are not reimbursable. Uncrating of large or fragile items is reimbursable.
- A qualified SUS Contract Vendor must be used for all professional moving company moves. For a copy of the list of vendors, contact Steve Saposnik in Purchasing, at email@example.com or (561)-297-3045.
- The University does not normally pay for the storage of household goods of a current or prospective employee. The request to pay for the storage of household goods of a current or prospective employee, regardless of funding source, must be submitted in advance and approved by the University President.
- Reasonable costs for travel by the employee using their personal vehicle, such as temporary lodging from the former residence, are reimbursable. Reasonable travel includes one (1) night of appropriate lodging for each 500 miles between residences.
Reimbursement Policy for Household Moving Expense Mileage: FAU reimburses $.445 a mile for mileage relating to moves thereof.
- Qualified IRS rate for moving expenses is $.19. For example: A 600 mile trip will be reimbursed $114 (600 miles x $.19)
Non-Qualified IRS rate for moving expenses is $.255. A 600 mile trip will be reimbursed $153 (600 miles x $.255)
Qualified vs Non-Qualified Moving Expenses
The payment or reimbursement of moving expenses may affect the employee's tax liability. The new employee should be made aware of the potential financial impact:
QUALIFIED MOVING EXPENSES - Payments to vendors or reimbursements to employees for certain moving expenses will not be reported as taxable income on the W2 Form if the following conditions are satisfied:
- The expenses for the costs of moving household goods are reasonable. For moves made by a professional moving company, reasonable costs are defined as the SUS Contract Vendor rates with applicable discounts.
- The expenses do not include any expenses for meals.
- If the new principal place of work is outside the United States and its possessions, the costs for storage of household goods are qualified moving expenses.
- The new principal place of work is at least 50 mile from the former residence.
- The employing agency reasonably believes at the time of payment or reimbursement of moving expenses, that during the period immediately following employment at the principal place of work the employee will be full-time for at least 39 weeks.
- A reasonable move originating from basically a single location with delivery to one location occurring at about the same time.
- Consumable supplies such as boxes and packing materials.
- If you have any questions please contact Steven Saposnik, firstname.lastname@example.org or 561-297-3045.