The PAR program provides conditional admission for academically qualified international students who need access to English language and other academic and social preparation for success in a U.S. university setting. PAR students will be fully integrated into the Florida Atlantic University community and learn English, hone study habits and absorb cultural nuances that will lead to success in their studies at FAU.
Distinctive Characteristics of the PAR Program:
- Designed for students who are academically qualified for admission into a degree program at FAU, but who need to improve their English language proficiency
- The program curriculum is designed and taught under the supervision of experienced full-time, tenure track faculty members with Ph.D. degrees
- The language training is focused on language learning in the academic context and in specific academic disciplines that meet the students’ study interests
- While improving academic English skills, students also take FAU courses providing 3-6 academic credits towards their FAU degree program
- Designed to be completed in two terms over nine months
- Full Immersion Experience:
- Option to apply for on-campus housing and meal plans
- Access to academic support services/resources – state of the art library, writing center, computer labs, and more
- Participation in campus life activities, cultural and social events, clubs and organizations, and athletic events
- Opportunities to meet with academic advisors, faculty members, and peer students in their academic programs of choice
- Included test preparation sessions and first tests for TOEFL, ACT, GRE and GMAT for their conditional admission process. Undergraduate students who pass their PAR coursework with a B average or higher are eligible for full admission into FAU regardless of the scores received on the standardized tests.
- Special programs and activities to assist with learning about U.S. culture and customs