May 30th, 2017
May 29th, 2017
2017 SURF Awardees
Congratulations to the 2017 Undergraduate Researchers of the Year!
Congratulations to the 2017 Distinguished Mentor of the Year, Tobin Hindle, Ph.D.!
Undergraduate Research Symposium
On Friday, March 31st, Florida Atlantic University held its 7th Annual Undergraduate Research Symposium hosted by the Office of Undergraduate Research and Inquiry (OURI). Over 200 faculty, staff and students from FAU and FAU High school learned from students engaged in research, scholarship and creative activities across all academic disciplines. 12 students received 1st and 2nd place prizes for oral presentations and 14 students received 1st and 2nd place prizes for poster presentations. Congratulations to all students who presented at this year’s symposium.
Students engaged in undergraduate research may present their findings either through a poster presentation or an oral presentation. If space becomes an issue, OURI will limit the number of presentations to two per faculty mentor. All students must prepare an abstract of 100-150 words. Student abstracts can be submitted by completing an online application form, by the deadline. Here are some important deadlines for abstract and poster submissions:
Deadline for abstract submission (100-150 words): March 6th, 2017 by 5:00p.m.
Notification of acceptance: Mid March, 2017
Deadline for poster file submission:March 20th, 2017
How to Apply
Please complete the online application through FluidReview (see below). Read through all of these instructions before clicking on the link.
- After clicking on the link, you will land on the Log-In page for OURI's FluidReview. If you have an FAU username and password (i.e., an active FAU email account), please click on the "Sign In or Register" button ONLY. You will be redirected to FAU's single sign-on page where you will sign in using your FAU credentials (NOTE: this may require a push notification).
- Once you are signed into OURI's FluidReview, you will need to complete the Eligibility task. This is a one-time form that determines to which applications/programs you are eligible to apply.
- Once your Eligibility is complete, click on the blue button labeled "View Programs."
- Search for the Undergraduate Research Symposium application that has "Apply Now" button on the far right side.
- Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the prompts.
- You must submit your application once all tasks are complete.
Instructions for Participating Students
Instructions for Poster Presentations
For your convenience we have provided FAU approved poster templates. If you choose to have OURI print your poster, you MUST use one of the following for your poster:
- As you prepare your poster, please keep in mind that your audience may have no prior knowledge of your topic. You are encouraged to use graphs, photographs, and other visual aides to help the viewer understand your project.
- Your banner should contain a title for your project, the authors, and your college. Use the font and color choices provided on the template.
- Do not change the font colors and size from those in the template. Do not change the color of the background. Do not move or resize the logo.
- The font for text within the poster should be no smaller than 32 point.
- As a condition of your participation in the Symposium, you must stand by your poster during the full time allotted to the poster session and be prepared to address questions or comments.
- Please view the evaluation rubric to better prepare your poster presentation.
Poster Printing Instructions:
- The Division of Student Affairs has kindly agreed to print your posters for this Symposium at no cost.
- Please use one of our poster templates(above). Florida Atlantic University's Division of Public Affairs has recently made available a number of university-approved templates for research posters. All researchers (including faculty, graduate students, and undergraduates) are strongly encouraged to take advantage of these templates. Using these pre-approved templates will ensure faster processing of the printing and production of research posters.
- Save your presentation as LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME_URS17 in a print-ready PowerPoint format ONLY and submit it to email@example.com no later than 12:00pm on March 20, 2017.
- Before you submit your presentation, be sure that your Faculty Mentor has reviewed and approved your poster.
- If you have already had your posters printed or intend to print yourself, please inform us of this as well. In these cases, we will not be able to cover the costs of printing.
- The printed poster should be three feet by four feet.
Instructions for Oral Presentations
- Students are allotted eight minutes to present their findings, with an additional 2 minutes for audience questions.
- Keep in mind that your audience may have no prior knowledge of your topic.
- Before discussing detailed findings, situate your research within some broader context and identify early-on the research question or problem that your project aims to address (as appropriate).
- Power Point and Prezi presentations are encouraged
Please view the evaluation rubric to better prepare your oral presentation.
Presentation Support for Presenters
Undergraduate Research Symposium Digital Collection of Posters
FAU’s Digital Library (DL) maintains a lab equipped to digitally convert materials to facilitate access to educational resources as well as for the purpose of preservation. Materials digitized include monographs, maps, documents, newspapers, pamphlets, photographs (negatives/slides), and audio and video recordings.
The DL ensures the quality of its collections by performing all digitization in house, maintaining the latest scanning hardware and software, and utilizing the expertise of skilled staff. Source materials are converted to digitally accessible files according to field standards and best practices to maximize the quality of FAU libraries digital versions.
The Digital Library will assist faculty and campus partners in the use of the FAU institutional repository and also seeks external partners to help create digital collections that will further the educational and research mission of FAU.The digital collection for FAU’s Undergraduate Research Symposia is available at this link:https://fau.digital.flvc.org/islandora/object/fau%3Augr.