Abstract Deadline: January 11th, 2017
Event Dates: February 24-25th, 2017
Event Date: March 31st, 2017
Undergraduate Research and Inquiry
We are very excited that you are interested in ways to get involved in undergraduate research and inquiry. Below is a list of opportunities for you to consider. Many of these opportunities will afford you the chance to work closely with other students, graduate students, and faculty members. Please take a look at the opportunities that are available to you.
Research and Inquiry Opportunities - here is a comprehensive list of local, state-wide, and national opportunities of which OURI has been made aware.
Fund your Research
- apply for grants and stipends to use towards research endeavors such as the Undergraduate Research Grant, travel funding, and other campus-wide opportunities.
Present your findings - present discoveries at symposia and conferences both on campus, regionally, and nationally
Publish your work - publish research and projects in peer-reviewed journals at FAU such as the Undergraduate Research Journal.
The Undergrad’s Guide to Online Research from BestColleges.com, provides great information on the following topics:
- Evaluating Academic Sources
- Tools to Organize Your Research
- Using Search Engine Operators
- Accessing Scholarly Databases
- Open Access Journal Indexes
- Properly Citing Academic Sources
- Data + Design is a free Creative Commons -licensed eBook introducing data concepts in visualizing information.
- This e-book presents valuable information on do’s and don’t’s when creating graphs and other data visualization formats
- GRE Practice Information: It is important to practice for the GRE. Here are some ways to get additional help!
Benefits Of Participating In Undergraduate Research
The Committee on Institutional Cooperation Summer Research Opportunity (CIC SROP) application allows you to apply to a variety of widely-recognized summer research programs at participating CIC institutions using a single application. One of the benefits of using the CIC SROP application is that you only need to send one transcript to a central location and your faculty recommenders will only be required to submit one online letter of recommendation. Upon completion, your application will be viewable by faculty from nine top research universities.
The Leadership Alliance Summer Research Early Identification Program (SR-EIP) , offers undergraduates, interested in pursuing a PhD or MD/PhD, the opportunity to work for eight to ten weeks under the guidance of a faculty or research mentor at a participating Alliance institution. The SR-EIP is designed to encourage students from groups traditionally underrepresented in the sciences, social sciences and humanities to consider research careers in the academic, public or private sectors. This all expense paid summer internship provides students with a competitive stipend, travel and housing.
Pathways to Sciences: Use this website to find programs such as undergraduate summer research opportunities, graduate fellowships, postdoctoral positions, as well as resources and materials pertaining to recruitment, retention, and mentoring.
Web Guru is an interactive web-based tool intended to assist undergraduates navigate the hurdles of an undergraduate research experience
For all upcoming opportunities sponsored by OURI please go to the Calendar of Events