Event Date: April 3, 2015 From 8:30am-4pm
Event Dates: April 8-10, 2015
Application Deadline: April 10, 2015
A variety of workshops will be hosted by OURI Peer Mentors throughout the Spring 2015 semester for students. Topics will include how to get started in research, research ethics, how to conduct a literature review, and more! New this semester: Video Conferencing will be available to the Davie, HBOI, and Jupiter campuses for ALL Boca workshops!
Communicate Research and Inquiry Opportunities
"Undergraduate research is a proven way to build college student success and drive innovation." -Council on Undergraduate Research
- increases aspirations
- increases core professional competencies
- mentorship and relationships increases student's perception of success
Articles of Interest:
- Hearing: Driving Innovation through Federal Investments
- It Takes More Than a Major: Employer Priorities for College Learning and Student Success
- Engage to Excel: Producing One Million Additional College Graduates with Degrees in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics
Referral Process for Students
Please feel free to refer all students to the OURI office who are interested in getting involved or started in research, we are happy to assist them! Below you will find a few resources that may be helpful in the first steps of getting involved in research or creative activity!
Submit an Undergraduate Research Opportunity
Each week OURI sends out an announcement to the mailing list with upcoming opportunities such as ways for undergraduates to get funded, attend presentations, conferences and workshops, events, and much more. Faculty interested in submitting an undergraduate research opportunity, please email requests to email@example.com and include the following information:
- Name and email of faculty mentor
- Name and email of graduate student (if appropriate)
- Project title
- Project description (2-3 line description of what the student will be doing)
- Start date and anticipated end date of project
- Student expectations/qualifications: e.g. course work prerequisites, instrumentation skills, time commitment.
- Deadline for applicants
- Application details: what you want from the student, e.g. CV, research experience, etc.
- web link or flyer with additional information (if available)
Please note: undergraduate students engaged in research projects may require additional research compliance training and certification. For further information please visit the Division of Research website. Additional research compliance information can be found here.
Previous announcements can be seen here.
Request a Classroom Visit
We are very pleased and excited that you are interested in ways to get your students involved in undergraduate research and inquiry! Peer mentors will present to classes and clubs about the Office and what it offers students. They will gear their presentations towards the group of students in your class and provide information relevant to the group. Presentations can be as short as 10 minutes with a brief overview of the office or as long as an hour with some engaging activities! Please email us at least ONE WEEK prior to the requested date in order for OURI to ensure the best presenters for the audience!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org your request, please include
- Date and Time of the presentation
- Location of the presentation
- How long will the mentor have to present? (e.g. 10 minutes, 20 minutes, etc.)
- Number of students
- Brief statement describing the group (e.g. sophomore psychology students, or juniors with a variety of majors, etc.)
- any additional information that may be helpful in organizing a presentation geared towards your students
Increase The Awareness
Encourage your students to participate in the following: