Abstract Deadline: January 11th, 2017
Event Dates: February 24-25th, 2017
Event Date: March 31st, 2017
Peer Mentor Program
The Peer Mentor Program is designed to help guide undergraduate students who are interested in pursuing research and inquiry, by providing student mentors. Each year 10 undergraduate and graduate students will be selected to become Peer Mentors beginning at the end of the summer semester. These students will be representatives of all disciplines, colleges and partner campuses, and are wonderful advocates for research and creative projects.
Peer Mentors serve as ambassadors for the Office of Undergraduate Research and Inquiry. These students are active researchers who assist their peers in getting involved in research and inquiry by mentoring, hosting workshops, and giving classroom presentations all to integrate and expand a culture of research, inquiry and creative activity on all of FAU’s campuses. Peer mentors work closely with the Council for Scholarship and Inquiry (CSI) to support this initiative. Peer mentors are selected each summer and are active mentors for one year. If you are interested in getting involved in research please contact one of our current Peer Mentors to learn more about how you can get involved!
Interested in serving as a Peer Mentor?
See instructions on how to apply below.
Deadline to May 29th, 2017 by 9:00 am.
- Be in good academic standing at the university
- Have one semester of DIS or other documented research experiences completed before applying.
- Commit to a one year agreement as a Peer Mentor (Summer through Summer)
- Selected mentors must be students throughout the year (undergraduate or graduate)
- Commit to active participation in the student club, Council for Scholarship and Inquiry (CSI)
- Commit to continue research in the following academic year
Responsibilities and Commitments of peer mentorsResponsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Mentor undergraduate students interested in engaging in research and inquiry.
- Student Professional Development
- Serve as student representatives on a steering committee in support of the Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP). Meetings are once per semester.
- “Meeting of the Minds”: a series of events co-hosted by CSI targeting different colleges to expose students to the research being conducted by faculty within the college.
- “How to…” series: a series of workshops developed to assist undergraduates to get involved in research and scholarly activities including ethics, developing a research question, and much more!
- Classroom Presentations
- Coordinate, organize, and actively participate in OURI Sponsored Events
- Distinction through Discovery Summer Retreat
- Faculty Recognition event
- Presentation Boot Camp
- Undergraduate Research Symposium
- Attend 75% of the meetings (once every three weeks) to organize various events
Selected Peer Mentors will be awarded $600 ($400 in December, $200 in May) to be used for materials and supplies toward their research endeavors. In order to have funds dispersed mentors must have completed the following:
- attend 75% of the meetings held each semester
- 15 hours of peer mentoring or other related activities
- classroom presentations
- coordinate, organize, and actively participate in at least two events each semester
- coordinate, organize, and actively participate in the annual Undergraduate Research Symposium
Timeline of Application Process
- Application Deadline: May 29th, 2017 by 9am
- Interviews: mid June
- Notification of Acceptance: early July
- Team Building Activity/meeting: July
- Annual Summer Retreat: Early August
How to apply
If you would like to apply to become a Peer Mentor with the Office of Undergraduate Research and Inquiry please complete the list below and email all application materials or questions to email@example.com
- Create an Account on Fluid Review
- Answer Required Eligibility Questions (under Tasks) by clicking "Start"
- Find OURI programs you are eligible for (i.e. the Peer Mentor Program) by clicking "view programs"
- Once you find the program you wish to apply for, click "Apply Now" to the right of your screen
- Complete all sections of the online application and be prepared to:
- Upload and Attach a current CV or resume
- Provide a letter of recommendation from your faculty research mentor
- Prepare for an interview upon request
**If you have any questions, or difficulty completing your online application please email Tracy Baker at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This application was adapted from the University of Central Florida's Office of Undergraduate Research.
This program is part of our University’s Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP) efforts at expanding a culture of undergraduate research and inquiry at FAU.