May 30th, 2017
May 29th, 2017
2017 SURF Awardees
Congratulations to the 2017 Undergraduate Researchers of the Year!
Congratulations to the 2017 Distinguished Mentor of the Year, Tobin Hindle, Ph.D.!
How to get started!
We are so excited you are interested in getting involved in research and inquiry! Here are a few ways to get you started:
- Come visit us in the office! We are located in GS 209. Any of our staff members would be happy to guide you!
- Review these documents for additional guidance:
- Steps to getting started in research and creative activities
- How to contact possible faculty mentors
- How to conduct research
- THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD: HOW DO WE FIGURE OUT WHICH QUESTIONS TO ASK? Gail Patricelli, UC Davis.
- This listserv sends out periodic emails to interested students about upcoming undergraduate research and inquiry opportunities. If you would like to subscribe to this list, simply click Join the Listserv above!
- How to get Started in Research
- Research Ethics
- Preparing for graduate school
- Creating an oral or poster presentation
- Writing a Manuscript
- and more!
- Obtain a FREE membership to the Council of Undergraduate Research (CUR). All FAU faculty, staff and students now have access to free membership.
There are a variety of course based opportunities in the different colleges. Some key ones are listed below:
- Honors in the Major: Look for Honors programs within your discipline. Take research enriched courses and enhance your research and inquiry skills.
- Direct Independent Study (DIS): Register for a DIS within your major. Students will have the opportunity to work closely with faculty members and also receive college credit.
- Research enriched Courses: The Distinction through Discovery supports faculty interested in integrating research and inquiry into the curriculum. We provide a list of those courses and programs which are supported. Courses supported by the Curriculum Grants Program.
- Other College Specific Opportunities: Consult with a faculty member and review the department website to learn more about additional opportunities. There may be additional internships, fellowships, and other opportunities available.
Summer Curricular Based Internship Opportunities
Semester by the Sea
- Spend a “Semester by the Sea” (SBTS) at FAU’s Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute in Fort Pierce, Florida on the shores of the Indian River Lagoon, one of the most biologically diverse estuaries in North America.