Synchronizing MyFAU Calendar with an Outlook Calendar
- Backup your data
- Install Sun ONE Sync Software
- Initial synchronization
- Keeping your calendars synchronized
If you have questions or need assistance, please contact the OIT Help Desk at 7-3999, or submit a Help Desk Service Request via the following URL: http://helpdesk.fau.edu
- Microsoft Outlook XP /2003
- No handheld devices installed
- Administrative rights to your machine: To install the Sun ONE Synchronization program you must have administrative rights to the computer (be logged on as a member of the local Administrators group).
Backup your Outlook calendar by either exporting it to your desktop copying your backup PST file
Exporting the Outlook Calendar
Open Outlook, and from the File menu select Import and Export. The Import and Export Wizard will open.
Select, Export to a file.
A new window will appear where you select the type of file you want to create; select Personal Folder File (pst).
Click the Next button.
A new window will open.
From the next window you select what part of Outlook you want to export. Select the Calendar and also check the box Include subfolders.
Click the Next button.
A new window will appear so you can choose where to place the exported file and what to call it. We recommend that you place the file on your desktop. Click the Browse button, and from the resulting window select the Desktop icon (left side of window) and enter calendar for the file name. Click OK.
You should now see a file called calendar.pst on your desktop.
Download the Sun ONE Synchronization software [exe]. When you click on this link you will be prompted to Run or Save the file. You can install the software without saving the installation file to your computer, so you can choose either option.
- On the Welcome screen click Next.
- On the License Agreement screen click Yes.
- On the Get Registration Information screen, enter your name in the User Name field and Florida Atlantic University in the Company Name field. Then click Next.
- You'll next get the Choose Destination Location screen. Accept the location the program chose by clicking Next.
- At the Select Components screen, check Microsoft Outlook 98 / 2000. Select only that one option. Then click Next.
- You will then get the Start Installation screen; click Next. You will see a progress bar as the application is installed.
- When the installation is complete, you'll get a screen labeled InstallShield Wizard Complete. Click Finish.
- Start Outlook. If Outlook was open when you installed the synchronization software, quit Outlook and then restart it. You should now have a Synchronize menu in the main toolbar.
- Click Synchronize from the Menu Bar; then click Synchronize from the drop down list.
- Click the Synchronize button at the Sun ONE Synchronization window.
- When you synchronize for the first time, the Sun ONE Translator Settings window opens. Enter the following information:
- Server: myfau.fau.edu
- Port: 6785
- User Name: [Enter your MyFAU Immutable ID]
*To find your Immutable ID:
1. Log into MyFAU and click the Calendar icon in the top right of your screen.
2. Select "Manage Calendars" from the drop down menu from the upper-right corner of the window.
3. Find your calendar name and copy the corresponding 15 digit owner ID for your Immutable ID.
- Password: [Enter your MyFAU password]
- Check the Remember Password box to store your password in the synchronization software; This is recommended to avoid being prompted for a password.
- CAUTION: Using the option to Replace Outlook records with Sun ONE (MyFAU) records is not applicable in most scenarios, and can result in lost records. This is NOT the correct option for First Time Synchronization.
- CAUTION: Using the Combine option can cause duplicate records. It is highly recommended that you do not use this option.
Congratulations! Your first synchronization with MyFAU is complete. For your convenience, it is recommended you use the MyFAU calendar as your primary calendar.
However, should you want to archive your MyFAU calendar to Oulook, or if you need to sync again with Outlook, you can do so by running the Sun ONE Synchronization tool again by following these simple steps:
- Start Outlook
- Click Synchronize from the Menu Bar, then click Synchronize Now from the drop down list.
- Click OK when finished.