FAU Joins the ‘Any Soldier’ Campaign
BOCA RATON, FL (September 5, 2008) – Florida Atlantic University’s Weppner Center for Civic Engagement and Service and Students Advocating Volunteer Involvement are taking part in the nationwide “Any Soldier” campaign. Designed to generate a stream of supplies and letters to U.S. military personnel serving in any war zone, the campaign has particular emphasis on those who don’t normally get a lot of mail from home.
Through Friday, September 26, FAU will be collecting letters and supplies to send to men and women in the armed forces who are serving in harm’s way.
Collection boxes currently are set up at the following locations:
· Boca Raton campus: Student Union, Room 207 (Contact: Monica Jara, 561-297-3607, email@example.com )
· Jupiter campus: Student Resources Building, Room 151 (Contact: Heather Bishara, 561-799-8696, firstname.lastname@example.org )
· Davie campus: Student Union, Room 203 (Contact: Freddie Frage, 954-236-1096, email@example.com )
· Treasure Coast campus: Joint Use Building, Room 113, and Library (Contact: Rochelle Popp, 772-873-3441, firstname.lastname@example.org )
· Harbor Branch: Cafeteria (Contact: Tina Angelo, 772-465-2400, email@example.com)
Those who would like to donate merchandise and letters to the “Any Soldier” campaign also can do so at FAU’s first home football game against the University of Alabama-Birmingham on Saturday, September 6. A collection box will be set up on the south side of Lockhart Stadium in Fort Lauderdale.
The project was started in 2003 by Sgt. Brian Horn of LaPlata, Maryland, who was serving in the Kirkuk region of Iraq when he got the idea of soliciting packages and letters labeled “Any Soldier” to distribute to troops in his unit, the 173rd Airborne Brigade. Since then, the program has grown dramatically.