MEDIA CONTACT: Cara C. Perry
FAU’s Center for Autism and Related Disabilities Recognizes Autism Awareness Month in April
BOCA RATON, FL (April 11, 2007) - Florida Atlantic University’s Center for Autism and Related Disabilities (CARD) is heightening community awareness about autism during the month of April, also recognized as National Autism Awareness Month. CARD is hosting several events throughout the month to provide useful information about this disability, and the free services the Center offers for families of children with autism.
In addition to hosting a series of events, the CARD staff is available to deliver presentations or workshops for community organizations, or serve as information sources to the media. All staff members can provide useful information and current updates on autism.
“We have seen a tremendous surge in awareness in the last few years, but many people may not know of the talents and special attributes these children and youth may possess,” said Dr. Jack Scott, CARD director. “Much is known about this disorder, and with effective education, treatment and parent support, children with autism can achieve a great deal.”
Florida Atlantic University is the home of the newest CARD within the state of Florida, which serves Palm Beach, Martin, St Lucie, Indian River and Okeechobee counties with offices at FAU’s Boca Raton and Port St Lucie campus locations. Currently, the Center provides services to over 1,200 families of children with autism, as well as schools and community organizations that help persons with autism reach their full potential. The program is funded by the Florida Department of Education. Visit http://www.coe.fau.edu/card/ or call the regional toll free number at 888-632-6395 for details.
For further information, community organizations or the media may reach Dr. Jack Scott at 561-251-4104 or firstname.lastname@example.org , or Dr. Deborah Leach, associate director, at 561-789-9944 or email@example.com.
April 2007 Autism Awareness Activities
(Some times and locations have not yet been determined. Please call for additional information.)
- April 17, South Fork High School, Martin County: Evelyn Falconer and Jennifer Agganis present Understanding Autism: Sensitivity Training for High School Students
- April 18, 6 – 9 p.m., FAU Boca Raton Campus Friedberg Lifelong Learning Center : Lou Brown presents Students with Significant Disabilities in Integrated Home Schools
- April 19: Dr. Judith Aaronson-Ramon and Dr. Jack Scott present Autism Awareness Lecture for Pediatricians
- April 21, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., FAU Jupiter Campus, AD 119: Raising Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders: Advice from a Parent’s Perspective
- April 23, 9 a.m.- 3 p.m., FAU Jupiter Campus, PC 158 (Lifelong Learning Building) : Peter Gerhardt, Ed.D. and Beverly Warde, Ed.D. present Transition from High School to Post Secondary Environments
- April 23, 5 - 7 p.m., FAU Jupiter Campus, PC 158: Dr. Beverly Warde presents Preparing Your Teen with ASD for College
- April 23, 7 – 9 p.m., FAU Jupiter Campus, PC 158 : Dr. Peter Gerhardt presents Targeting Competence as a Transition Outcome
- April 23, 5 - 7 p.m., FAU Jupiter Campus, AD 103 : Stacy Kane Greenzeig presents The Unexpected Journey: A Workshop for Professionals Working with Children with Autism
- April 26, 9 a.m. - 3:30 p.m., FAU Jupiter Campus, EC 101 : Kyle Bennett, M.S., BCBA and Toby Honsberger, M.Ed., BCBA present Self-Injurious Behaviors: A Functional Approach to Assessment and Treatment
- April 28, 11 a.m.-3 p.m., John Prince Park, Lake Worth : ASA Autism Rally and Resource Fair
- April 29, 1 p.m., Roger Dean Stadium, Jupiter : Autism Awareness Day at the stadium, Palm Beach Cardinals vs. Daytona. Contact Debbie Chanan at 561- 297-2055 for more information on this event.