Advising: How to Place a Student in Spanish or French

1) Students should fulfill the foreign language requirement as soon as they can. If the student has had Spanish/French in HS, it is fresh in their mind and they might even place out of 1120 if they take the placement test right away. Whether or not they had French/Spanish in HS, they will not have the opportunity to pursue a Minor Concentration in a foreign language or get to a higher level of fluency if they wait until Junior or Senior year.

2) Advising specifics: 

French placement: Students who have previous knowledge of French (no matter the level or how long ago) and who want to take French at the Honors College MUST take the Placement Test here: and email the results to Prof. Tille-Victorica
Spanish placement: All students who want to take Spanish at the Honors College, no matter their level or previous knowledge, MUST take the Placement Test here: and email the results to Prof. Tille-Victorica or Prof. Vázquez

1. Ask if the student completed high school in a language other than English. If so, send the student to Dr. Miguel Vazquez. The student may be able to place out.

2. Ask if the student has any AP or IB credit (in French, German, Latin or Spanish) or CLEP credit (in French, German, or Spanish). If yes, see the Honors College catalogue for credit earned. If they have earned credit through 1121, they have completed the requirement. If they only earned credit for 1120, they must take 1121.

3. Look at the placement results for the student. Note that students now take placement exams online. Placement tests cover both Spanish and French. N. B. The placement exam does not give credit, it simply tells us what class the student should take to complete requirements. Students should bring the results of the test to their advising appointment.  Use the table below to tell student what class(es) to take.


Student Place Into Student Should Take
1120 1120 (Fall) and 1121 (Spring)
1121 1121 (offered Fall and Spring)--this will complete their For Lang requirement
2220 2220 (Fall) or CLEP
2221 2221 (Spring) or CLEP


Any student who places into 2220 or above may earn credit by taking the CLEP exam. The test is given on computer at Boca. Students can call the Office of Testing and Evaluation in Boca at 7-3160 for more information about schedule and cost. Students who do not wish to take a language class may prefer this option, but they do not get any credit without the necessary score on this exam or a class (unless they have AP or IB).