Explore the Honors College
FAU Home >> Honors College >>  Internships and Studying Abroad

Internships and Studying Abroad

Study Abroad in Ecuador Max Planck Florida Institute

Life in the world beyond the campus provides students with invaluable experiences that complement their programs of study. The experiential learning requirement may be fulfilled through participation in a study abroad program (minimum of three credits and a five-week stay) or through an internship experience (minimum of three credits and 120 hours of internship experience – each credit equaling 40 hours of internship experience). All Wilkes Honors College students –including international and transfer students – are required to participate in an experiential learning program. All internship must be approved by the non-classroom learning committee prior to student registration and all study abroad programs must be approved by FAU's Office of International Programs (OIP).

Click here to view a list of internship opportunities.

Note: Internship Deadlines

How Do I Find an Internship?

Begin with some preliminary research. Check the bulletin boards around campus, weekly emails, and the News/Events page. Talk to fellow students who have completed internships. Discuss potential internships with your faculty advisor or another faculty member. Consult the online list of internship opportunities. Finally, meet with Dr. Monica Maldonado (presently on leave) or David Flanigan about available internships.

How do I Sign Up for an Internship?

Students who wish to participate in an internship must submit an online internship proposal form. Once the form is approved by the faculty non-classroom learning committee, you will submit the contract to Dr. Monica Maldonado, Associate Director of Honors College Student Activities. The contract includes a number of forms and important details about individual internship programs and should be read carefully.

Before submitting an online proposal, you will need to decide on an academic component with your faculty advisor. The academic component should include discipline-specific reading and writing, typically totaling 6-10 pages for a 3 credit internship. Acceptable writing examples might include a substantial paper completed at the end of the internship, such as a literature review, or smaller writing assignments completed throughout the internship, such as weekly essays reflecting on series of readings and their applicability to the internship. Writing requirements may also be satisfied by products of your work at the internship, such as a draft of a manuscript, a conference paper or poster, a lab report or protocol, or brochures or other materials you develop. Your faculty advisor should approve your proposal before you submit it to the non-classroom learning committee.

A sample proposal form is online. To ensure that your online proposal is approved, be sure to fill out each part of the online form accurately. Remember that unpaid internships require 40 hours for each credit hour; paid internships require 60 hours for each credit hour. Be sure to include the number of pages of your written requirement, the location of the internship, contact info for your onsite supervisor, and indicate that you will do appropriate readings selected by you and your advisor as part of the academic component of your internship (e.g. "x" number of books and/or "y" number of articles on topic "z;" if possible, you may include specific titles). If you fail to include these items, your proposal will be sent back to you for revision.

Once the on-line proposal is approved, you will receive approval notification and then submit the contract. The contract includes (I) a general info form, (II) contract, (III) consent/release form, and (IV) agreement form, all of which must be submitted to Dr. Monica Maldonado, Associate Director of Honors College Student Activities by the deadline. It also includes (V) an evaluation form that will be completed by your onsite supervisor after the internship is completed, and then submitted to your faculty advisor.

Please note that the internship forms must be signed by you, your internship supervisor, and your faculty advisor. Your faculty advisor will then request an internship section and give you permission to enroll. Course numbers for internships include:

    • HUM 4947 (Honors Internship in the Humanities)
    • IDS 4947 (Honors Internship in Interdisciplinary Studies)
    • ISS 4947 (Honors Internship in the Social Sciences)
    • ISC 4947 (Honors Internship in Science and Mathematics)

Application Guidelines

When you are ready to apply, please follow these guidelines:

  1. Submit the online internship form before advance registration for the semester you intend to start your internship. Note for International students with F-1 visas: you must visit the Office of Diversity Services (SR 117, 561.799.8585) to determine eligibility and apply for Curricular Practical Training.
  2. The Non-Classroom Learning Committee Chair will have members review your application and approve or disapprove. Once approved, you will be notified, and you then must submit a contract (Parts I-IV) signed by you, the internship supervisor, and your faculty advisor, to Dr. Monica Maldonado, Associate Director of Honors College Student Activities. Also, your faculty advisor must request to the chair the addition of an internship section, and give you permission to enroll in it.
  3. You CANNOT register for an internship retroactively. In other words, do not attempt to get a sequence number to register for credit for an internship you already completed.
  4. Criteria for acceptable internships: the internship should have a strong academic component; working for your family business as a summer job is not acceptable for internship credit. In general, internships should take place outside the Honors College. Research assistant positions and opportunities within the college may qualify for other types of recognition (independent study credits, paid employment, volunteer hours, etc.), but they generally cannot be pursued for internship credits. Other opportunities on the Jupiter campus or at other FAU locations may be approved for internship credit if they meet the other criteria. Research conducted for theses should be assigned as thesis hours rather than internship credit.
  5. Consider internships that will challenge you and help you grow as a professional.
  6. Remember that you pay for internship credit as an FAU student. The minimum amount you must earn to meet requirements is three (3) credits:
       60 hours of work = 1 credit hour for paid internships
       40 hours of work = 1 credit hour for unpaid internships
  7. Upon completing the internship, have your employee supervisor complete the evaluation form and send it to your faculty advisor, who will review it and submit it to the Director of Student Affairs.


Online proposal forms must be submitted prior to the advance registration period for the semester of the internship. This is typically the start of April for Summer/Fall semesters, and mid-November for Spring semester. For example, if you plan to do an internship in Spring 2014, submit the online form prior to the start of November 2013 advance registration. If you plan to start an internship during the Summer or Fall of 2014, submit the online form prior to the start of April, 2014 advance registration. (See the FAU calendar for dates of advance registration.)

Completed contracts should be submitted as soon as the signatures are secured but must be received no later than the start of the internship or the first day of the semester in which the internship is taken, whichever is sooner.

You may not receive credit for internships started without completing the proper paperwork.

Study Abroad

Studying abroad for a summer, semester, or year may be that defining moment in your educational career that will change your life forever and influence how you live your life. Studying abroad allows you to explore another culture, learn another language, try new foods, discover new sports, realize a new career path, impress potential employers, make new friends, and go on an amazing adventure!

Honors College students have studied abroad in countries including Australia, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, England, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, India, Italy, Japan, Morocco, New Zealand, Poland, Russia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Tanzania, Venezuela, and Vietnam.

How do I plan for my Study Abroad Experience?

The Honors College (HC), in partnership with the Office of International Programs (OIP), helps HC students add an overseas study abroad experience to their FAU degree. Honors College students must complete at least five weeks abroad (total time spent abroad in the program) and earn at least 3 academic credits from FAU or another approved, accredited institution in order to fulfill the non-classroom learning experience requirement. Students interested in studying abroad are strongly encouraged to begin planning a year to six months prior to the semester they wish to go abroad. Below are some helpful guidelines to help you get started on your path.

Note: International students must also consult with the Office of Diversity Services to learn of immigration requirements for study abroad. For further information, contact the Office of Diversity Services (SR 117, 561-799-8585).

  • Survey the landscape of study abroad opportunities. Fill out the study abroad inquiry form, which will allow the Office of International Programs to gather resources and information relevant to your particular interests and objectives. You will learn about options through FAU, other universities and independent program providers.
  • Meet with your Study Abroad Advisor.
    Amanda Frederick, Coordinator of Academic Programs (561-297-1080), the Jupiter campus representative from the Boca Office of International Programs, can assist you in planning and preparing to study abroad.
  • Receive pre-approval for your choice of coursework from your faculty advisor, in order to ensure that the courses will transfer and fulfill specific requirements of your curriculum as planned.
  • Decide on a program and apply. Once you have chosen your program, after consultation with both the Coordinator of Academic Programs and your faculty advisor, all students MUST complete the Study Abroad Application with the OIP prior to applying to your abroad program, including all supporting documentation and the applicable application fee.
  • Request your transcript from the institution abroad. The original transcript should be sent to:
        Florida Atlantic University
        Office of International Programs
        Attention: Amanda Frederick
        777 Glades Road, GS 212Q
        Boca Raton, FL 33431.

The Office of International Programs will work with the FAU Registrar’s Office to ensure that your credits and grades are appropriately posted on the FAU transcript. A copy of the transcript will be forwarded to the Honors College for your file.

Additional Information for Flagler Scholars

Flagler Scholars are required to complete a study abroad experience before their senior year, and they should follow the specific guidelines for the Flagler Study Abroad Enrichment Program. For further questions regarding course registration, expense reimbursement, and other aspects related to specific requirements, contact David Flanigan, Director of Academic Support Services (HC 132, 561-799-8622.

Core / Concentration Requirements

All coursework taken abroad must be pre-approved by the student’s faculty advisor in order to ensure that these courses fulfill Honors College core, concentration or other requirements.

Course Enrollment

All study abroad must be coordinated through OIP. Students must complete a Study Abroad Application, including all supporting documentation and the application fee. Students enrolled in FAU exchange and faculty-led programs are registered for the appropriate study abroad courses through the Office of International Programs. Students who choose study abroad programs offered through direct enrollment at other universities or program providers are responsible for requesting transcripts to be sent to the Office of International Programs upon completing their study abroad program.

  • Dual-Enrollment. Dual enrollment refers to registration at two institutions—FAU and the study abroad program’s sponsor institution. Students are responsible for paying tuition for courses at the HC and at the study abroad institution. Students must still check with their advisor beforehand to ensure that their coursework taken abroad will count towards their concentration or other degree requirements. Students who enroll in a study abroad program through another university need to ensure that the transcripts for coursework taken abroad are sent to FAU and that there is documentation that these courses were taken abroad. After the transcript is received, the grades will be posted as credit for HC study abroad courses.
  • Enrollment through the study abroad program only. Courses taken abroad must still be pre-approved by the faculty advisor, but the student only enrolls at the study abroad institution. The OIP validates that the study abroad program the student has chosen is accredited and will fulfill the non-classroom learning experience requirement at the Honors College. Students will not be enrolled in the HC while abroad and no HC courses will appear on the student’s schedule while studying abroad.

Eligibility for HC Scholarship and other Financial Aid

The Honors College Scholarship is given only to students enrolled full-time in HC courses during the fall and spring semesters. Students who study abroad in the fall or spring semesters or for an entire academic year and want to use their HC scholarship are required to dual-enroll in HC study abroad courses. Students who dual-enroll during fall and spring can use the HC scholarship to pay for their HC study abroad courses. Students who choose not to dual-enroll during the fall or spring semesters will not receive their HC scholarship.

Students may use Bright Futures and other sources of federal financial aid (such as loans) if they enroll in a study abroad program through another accredited institution in Florida. Students who enroll through study abroad programs outside of Florida cannot use Bright Futures, but may be eligible for other types of federal financial aid. These are general guidelines, and students are responsible for checking with the Office of Financial Aid regarding the use of financial aid for various study abroad programs.

Click here for more information about financial aid for study abroad.

Study Abroad Coursework on Your FAU transcript

Students enrolled in an FAU study abroad program (exchange or faculty-led):
You will be pre-registered for the courses offered through the FAU study abroad program that you selected. The courses will appear on your schedule and transcript just as they would if you registered for any other FAU course.

Students enrolled in study abroad credits through another institution or program provider (also called Consortium Study Abroad Program):

  • Dual-enrolled: If you are dual-enrolled in HC credits and in credits at another institution, the grades and credits obtained abroad will be posted for each corresponding HC course after OIP receives the study abroad transcript.
  • Not dual-enrolled: If you are only enrolled in the credits at the institution abroad, no coursework will appear on your FAU transcript while you are abroad. After completing the program abroad, the study abroad transcript will be sent to FAU and credits will be posted on your FAU transcript similarly to any other courses that you would transfer from another institution.
Last Modified 8/15/14