Fall 2018 Message from the Interim Graduate Dean
Khaled Sobhan, Ph.D.
Interim Dean of the Graduate College and Professor
Welcome, new and returning students! In addition to welcoming you, I want to provide you important information about Graduate College services, programs, and deadlines that are relevant for graduate students.
Three Minute Thesis (3MT)
- FAU’s third annual Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) Competition is taking place this fall, with scholarships of up to $3,500 awarded to winners. Preliminary heats are scheduled for October 16-18 at the S.E. Wimberly Library (Boca, Fifth Floor).
- The 3MT Championship is scheduled for November 2 at 6 PM at the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute Auditorium (Boca).
- Don’t miss this opportunity to compete, volunteer, attend as an audience member, and/or invest in our 3MT Scholarships Fund. For more information about 3MT®, please click here.
- Do you need help formatting your thesis or dissertation? Register for one of our free Thesis and Dissertation Writing Workshops. We also have online tutorials on our website.
- The FAU Libraries also have a number of workshops available that are beneficial for you, such as Library Research, APA Boot Camp, Effective Job Search, and more.
Graduate Study Lounge in Wimberly Library
- Graduate students now have a dedicated space on the Boca Raton campus, called the Graduate Study Lounge, thanks to the Wimberly Library’s University Club. The lounge features restricted card access for graduate students, soft seating, computer stations, a conference table, and study rooms. Find it on the west end of the second floor of the library. Graduate students must have their Owl Card to get access to the lounge. For assistance with access to the lounge, please contact Liana Smith at email@example.com.
Plan of Study
- Reminder to returning students – if you are a degree seeking graduate student, we recommend that you work with your college advisor to complete a Plan of Study by the end of your first semester.
- For more information or assistance with the online Plan of Study, please click here or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Many new students attended our orientation and received our orientation guide. For those who missed the event, please download a copy of the new Graduate Student Orientation Guide, or download the Graduate Student Guide in the Owl Guides app.
Again, welcome! This semester promises to be an exciting one for The Owl Nation. Go Owls!
With best regards,
Khaled Sobhan, Interim Dean of the Graduate College and Professor