Fall 2016 Message from the Dean
Deborah L. Floyd
Dean of the Graduate College
Welcome, new and returning students! In addition to welcoming you, I want to provide you important information about services, programs, and deadlines that are relevant for graduate students.
Three Minute Thesis (3MT)
- FAU’s inaugural Three Minute Thesis (3MT) Competition is taking place later this fall, with scholarships of up to $1,500 awarded to winners. Preliminary heats are scheduled for October 19-21 on the Boca Raton campus, and Nov. 3 on the Harbor Branch campus. The 3MT Championship is scheduled for November 18 on FAU’s Boca Raton campus.
- Don’t miss this opportunity to apply for the 3MT Competition. This is a novel way to share your research with FAU and the community.
First Home Football Game
- I hope to see you at this season’s first home game, September 3, at 6:00 p.m. as we take on Southern Illinois! For discounted tickets and to help raise money for graduate scholarships, mention “Graduate” and contact Aubrey Brooks at the FAU ticket office at 561.297.0435 or email@example.com. Attend the game with fellow graduate students and Graduate College staff. For a free FAU Graduate College t-shirt to wear to the game, stop by the Graduate College (SU 80, 101) by noon on September 2 and present your FAU v. Southern Illinois tickets to us (while supplies last).
FAU Owl Guides App
- The Graduate College is now part of the FAU Owl Guides App system. Look for the “Graduate Student Guide” in the Owl Guides app. It contains useful information for new and returning students.
- You can download the Owl Guides app through Google Play or the App Store for iOS.
- Do you need help formatting your thesis or dissertation? Register for one of our free Thesis and Dissertation Writing Workshops we are holding from August through November. We also have online tutorials on our website.
- The University Library also has a number of workshops available that are beneficial for you, such as Library Research, APA Boot Camp, Effective Job Search, and more.
Graduate Study Lounge in Wimberly Library
- Graduate students now have a dedicated space on the Boca Raton campus, called the Graduate Study Lounge, thanks to the Wimberly Library’s University Club. The lounge features restricted card access for graduate students, soft seating, computer stations, a conference table, and study rooms. Find it on the west end of the second floor of the library.
Plan of Study
- Reminder to returning students – if you are a degree seeking graduate student, you must have an approved plan of study on file with the Graduate College prior to the term in which you intend to graduate. Log-in to MyFAU to access the MyPOS system to create your plan of study.
Many new students attended our orientation and received our orientation guide. For those who missed the event, please download a copy of the new Graduate Student Orientation Guide, or download the Graduate Student Guide in the Owl Guides app.
Again, welcome! This semester promises to be an exciting one for The Owl Nation. Go Owls!
With best regards,
Deborah L. Floyd, Dean of the Graduate College and Professor
Previous Dean’s Messages
- Fall 2015
- FAU Announces Dr. Deborah Floyd Dean of the Graduate College
- Fall 2014
- Summer 2014
- Spring 2014
- FAU Announces New Dean of the Graduate College