Instructions for Completing
the Plan of Study
All information, with the exception of signatures, must be typed directly onto the PDF form. Please note the following when completing the form:
- List your courses in chronological order under each category on the form.
- Include the semester and year for each course next to the title.
- If you require additional space under "Graduate Courses Taken at Florida Atlantic University" on page 1, continue listing those courses on page 2 under "Graduate Courses Currently Taking or To Be Taken."
- If you still require additional space under "Graduate Courses Currently Taking or To Be Taken" on page 2:
- Open an additional PDF document and continue entering your courses.
- Complete the remainder of the form.
- Print off pages 1 and 2 of the first PDF, and page 2 of the second pdf.
- Only page 2 of the second PDF needs to be assigned.
Completing Page 1
- Complete all the required fields that are applicable to your graduate degree program.
- If you have a supervisory committee, list their names and titles. If you do NOT have a supervisory committee, list your advisor's name.
- List any courses (e.g., prerequisite courses) that were used to remove deficiencies or meet other stipulations.
- List any transfer credits from other institutions AND the name(s)
of the institution(s).
- List the graduate courses you have already completed at FAU.
Important Notes Regarding Courses
- Recency of Credits: No credit that is more than ten years old at the time the Florida Atlantic University graduate degree is awarded may be counted toward that degree.
- Transfer Credits: Master's programs may accept a maximum of 6 graduate credits earned from another institution beyond a baccalaureate degree. Doctoral programs may accept a maximum of 36 credits earned elsewhere in an approved graduate program. A maximum of 6 graduate credits earned from another institution in a non-degree seeking status may be transferred. The Graduate College reserves the right to request a professional evaluation of credits transferred from universities outside the U.S.
- Acceptance of transfer credits for a course is dependent upon the following provisions.
- The student received a grade of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale in the course to be transferred.
- The course was taken at a regionally accredited institution.
- The course is relevant to the graduate program in which the student is accepted, as judged by the graduate or supervisory committee of the department or program.
- The course is listed on the official transcript received by the Graduate College.
- The course was completed within six years preceding admission to the program.
Requesting to Waive a University Requirement
- To waive either requirement outlined above, complete the Request to Waive a University Requirement form ( Click here to download the form ).
- The form will not be accepted unless top portion is typed.
- Print the form and attach any supporting documentation.
- Sign and date the form.
- Obtain ALL the required signatures.
- Submit the form with your Plan of Study, as outlined under "Instructions for Submitting Your Plan of Study."
Completing Page 2
- Enter your Z number in the top right-hand corner.
- List the graduate courses you are currently taking at FAU as well as those you plan to take in future terms.
- Total all credit hours listed on your Plan of Study and enter that total in the box provided. Note: the total credit hours you list must meet the minimum number of credit hours required by your graduate program.
- Answer the three questions related to research compliance, intellectual property, and environmental health and safety.
- If you answered 'yes' to any of these three questions, you also must submit the Research Compliance and Safety form (Form 12) with your Plan of Study. ( Click here to download the Research Compliance and Safety form .)
- Your Plan of Study will not be approved if you leave any of these three questions blank or if you do not submit Form 12 as required.
- List your thesis topic, field of study, and foreign language information, if applicable.
- Once you have completed the form, save it on your computer or on a memory device.
- Print the completed form.
- Sign and date the Plan of Study.
- Obtain ALL the required signatures on Page 2:
- Supervisory/Graduate Committee Chair/Program Coordinator or Graduate Advisor
- Department Chair or School Director
- College Dean or Designee
- At this point, you do not need to obtain the signature for the Dean of the Graduate College. The Dean of the Graduate College signs the form after it has been received and reviewed by the Graduate College.
Instructions for submitting your plan of study
- Prior to submitting your Plan of Study to the Graduate College, did you remember to:
- Make sure that the total number of credit hours meets the minimum required by your graduate degree?
- Complete the Request to Waive a University Requirement form, if applicable?
- Complete the three questions related to research?
- Complete the Research Compliance and Safety form if you answered 'yes' to any of these three questions?
- Date and sign the form?
- Obtain all the signatures, with the exception of the Dean of the Graduate College?
- Submit your Plan of Study to the Graduate College in one of the following ways:
- Hand deliver it to SU-80, Room 106, Boca Raton Campus
- Fax it to (561) 297-2573, Attention: Degree Completion Services
- Email it as a scanned PDF document attachment to email@example.com
Mail it to:
Degree Completion Services
Florida Atlantic University
SU-80, Room, 106
777 Glades Road
Boca Raton, FL 33431-0991
- Once your Plan of Study is received, it will be reviewed to ensure that all entries conform to FAU regulations.
- In the event that a regulation has been violated, or where there are discrepancies between your Plan of Study entries and the university's student information system (BANNER), the Graduate College will either you or your college to rectify the issue. If you are to be notified, an email will be sent to your FAU email address.Note: It is critical that you check your FAU email address on a regular basis as well as ensure you have enough space available to receive emails.
- After the Dean of the Graduate College has approved and signed your Plan of Study, you will be notified by an email from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Your Plan of Study will be scanned into a PDF document and placed in an electronic document storage system (VIP). After final verification, the original document will be shredded. At any time, you may request a copy of this PDF document:
- Email email@example.com from your personal FAU email account. Include your full name and Z number in the body of your email. Note: Only requests from your personal FAU email account will be honored.
- See your advisor or a staff member in your college to obtain a copy of your Plan of Study from VIP.
- Pick up a copy from the Graduate College offices at SU-80, Room 101, Boca Raton campus. For security purposes, you will be required to show picture ID.