International Students and Non-Native Speakers of English
Applying for Admission
The Graduate College processes all applications for graduate studies at FAU through an online application. In addition to your online application, many of FAU's graduate degree programs require additional materials such as supplemental applications, letters of recommendation, and personal statements. It may be helpful to print these instructions to assist you during the application process.If you have any questions after reviewing the instructions, you may send an email to GraduateCollege@fau.edu.
Identify the Graduate Degree Program to which you are applying. Most graduate programs have admission requirements in addition to those required by the Graduate College. Supplemental application information and forms are available here. Please Note: International students must meet the same academic requirements as domestic students for the graduate degree program (s) to which they are applying.
Determine your desired term of entry based on Degree Program Application Deadlines for International Students.
- As a reminder, applications for admission will not be processed more than one year in advance of the program's application deadline date.
- Applications submitted after the degree program deadline date will be processed for the next available semester.
Please Note: Not every degree program starts three times per year.
Assemble the information needed for the online portion of the application. Access to the following will expedite completion of the online application:
- Dates of attendance at previous colleges/ universities.
- Valid credit card for the non-refundable $30 application fee payable in U.S. dollars. Please Note: Applicants may also mail the application fee to the Graduate College. The check or money order must be in U.S. dollars from a financial institution with a branch in the U.S.
- Official Test Scores from the GRE or GMAT/EXADEP:
- FAU's school code for the GRE is 5229
- FAU's school code for the GMAT is 9LX
- FAU's school code for the EXADEP is 5229
- Current email address (this will be used by the Graduate College to contact you while your application is being processed by FAU)
Conduct: If you answer "yes" to the following question, you will need to provide information regarding the violation(s), dates of the violation(s) and penalties imposed.
- "Have you ever been charged with a violation of the law, misdemeanor and/or felony (even if adjudication was withheld) which resulted in, or, if still pending could result in, probation, community service, restitution, a jail sentence or the revocation or suspension of your driver's license (you are not required to include traffic violations which only resulted in a fine)?"
- "Are you currently, or have you ever been, charged with or subject to disciplinary action for scholastic (such as plagiarism or cheating) or any other type of behavioral misconduct at any educational institution? You do not need to disclose academic dismissal, suspension, or probation for poor grades."
Assemble the information needed for the remainder of the application:
- Evidence of English proficiency. Non-native speakers of English must provide evidence of proficiency in English from: Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS). The minimum university requirement for TOEFL is 500 (Paper-Based Test) and 61 (Internet Based Test). The minimum university requirement for IELTS is a band score of 6.0.
- Please Note: Applicants are responsible for making arrangements to schedule the test(s).
- Non-Native speakers of English are not required to submit proof of English language proficiency if they meet one of the following:
- Completion of at least three years of secondary education from a high school based in the United States or abroad with full curriculum of instruction in English.
- Completion of at least three years of secondary education from a high school based in a country where English is the majority native-speaking language, or where English is the primary language of instruction starting in the primary grades.
- For undergraduate applicants only, completion of at least thirty (30) postsecondary credits, including ENC 1101 and ENC 1102, or the equivalent, with a grade of C or higher, from a U.S. regionally accredited post-secondary institution or from a recognized post-secondary institution abroad with full curriculum of instruction in English.
- Completion of at least sixty (60) post-secondary credits or an associate degree or higher from a U.S. regionally accredited postsecondary institution or from a recognized post-secondary institution abroad with full curriculum of instruction in English.
- Here is the official FAU regulation on English Language Proficiency: Regulation 4.009.
- Official Transcripts: Official transcripts from the Registrar of each college or university you have attended are to be sent to the Graduate College. Please Note: Applicants who previously attended FAU do not need to send their FAU transcripts to the Graduate College.
- Foreign Credential Evaluation: The Graduate College requires all applicants to graduate programs whose transcripts are from foreign institutions to have their credentials evaluated by a professional evaluation service. Click here for more information about NACES evaluations and details regarding credential evaluation requirements for individual degree programs. Click here for information about internal evaluations. Applications cannot be processed until these evaluations are received.
- Application fees, test scores, official transcripts, and foreign credential evaluations must be sent to: Florida Atlantic University. Graduate College. SU-80, Room 101, 777 Glades Road, Boca Raton, FL 33431
- Letters of Recommendation : Check the following link to access the letter of recommendation form. Speak with your program to determine if the degree program to which you are applying requires a letter of recommendation. Note: sealed letters of recommendation should be sent directly to the degree program to which you are applying.
- Completed health form from Health Services
- Financial Certification Form I-20 information (submit this form to the ISSS office)
- SEVIS Transfer Form : This form is used by international students with an F or J visa status who are currently attending a U.S. educational institution. (submit this form to the ISSS office)
- Copy of passport’s biographical and visa page, if applicable (submit to the ISSS office)
Follow the steps below to begin your online application:
- Go to https://owlapp.fau.edu
- Click "New User" to create your login account
- Log in by completing "New User" form or entering email/password and clicking "Login"
- Complete the online Graduate Applicat
Important Note: The Graduate College does not award assistantships or financial aid, nor does the Graduate College notify students of such awards in their decision notification letters. Please contact your college for information on assistantships, or the Financial Aid Office for information regarding federal financial aid (if eligible).
Note: The application may take 15 – 20 minutes to complete if the all the information listed above in item #3 is gathered prior to beginning; in addition the application does not have to be completed in one sitting.
All materials submitted in support of your application become the property of Florida Atlantic University. The Graduate College cannot return materials or copies to applicants. The completion and submission of your online graduate application with your electronic signature is accepted as a legal signature, recognized by Florida statutes.
Pre- arrival Information
SITA and FAQs
Letters of Recommendation
SEVIS Transfer Form
Financial Certification form
Residency Instructions and FAQs
International Student and Scholar Services