Cancellation/Refund PoliciesCancellation Policy
FAU and Education Abroad consider student safety one of its highest priorities. Therefore, it is Florida Atlantic University's policy to cancel any previously planned FAU-sponsored intersession/summer/semester/academic year/spring break program in a location that is considered unsafe by the University or for which the U.S. State Department has issued a Travel Warning. Education Abroad reviews the U.S. State Department information regularly at http://travel.state.gov and monitors other sources such as announcements from the Overseas Security Advisory Council (OSAC) to have the most current information about the countries where FAU students are or will be studying. FAU further reserves the right to cancel any program for any reason at our sole discretion, including without limitation under-enrollment.
No refund will be issued to students who do not possess a valid passport or visa stamp at the time of departure.
If FAU cancels a program for any reason, Education Abroad will make reasonable efforts to refund recoverable costs to the participants. Education Abroad cannot guarantee that any recoverable costs can be provided. If a program is canceled after the program has started instruction overseas, Education Abroad will make reasonable efforts to assist students to complete the coursework for the program. It is recommended that students purchase trip cancellation insurance that can be obtained through many travel agents or insurance companies. Policies vary on when trip cancellation insurance must be purchased, so please check with the insurance provider for more details.
If a student needs to withdraw from a program for any reason they must do so in writing as soon as they have made the decision to withdraw. Students who withdraw after the program has been confirmed to run will be responsible for the application fee, any confirmation deposit, and any other expenses that have been paid on their behalf and are not recoverable. This means if the student has not yet paid the full program balance or does not attend the program, he/she may still be responsible for paying those unrecoverable program costs in addition to any deposit.
For students on FAU summer programs and/or FAU semester/academic year programs:
- If Education Abroad
cancels a program prior to the start date, the application fee and any deposit will be refunded to the student.
- If a student cancels prior to the start of the overseas program they will forfeit the application fee, any deposit, and any other fees expended or committed on the student’s behalf, which are not recoverable by Education Abroad. The university may consider exceptional circumstances on a case-by-case basis.
- If a student cancels, withdraws or is dismissed from their program after its commencement for any reason, including without limitation academic reasons, health matters or misconduct, no refunds will be given. The university may consider exceptional circumstances on a case-by-case basis.
- No refunds will be given if a student does not participate in mandatory or non-mandatory program activities (such as field trips, excursions, cultural events, included meals, etc.).
- If a student is suspended prior to the departure of their study abroad program and is no longer permitted to go under the university’s academic policies, it does not release the student from their financial obligations.
For students on NON-FAU programs:
- Students on non-FAU programs must follow and abide by their program’s cancellation and refund policies and may or may not have their fees refunded depending on the policy. Be sure that you know what the cancellation deadlines and policies are if you are on a non-FAU program.
- Students on non-FAU programs that cancel prior to the start of the overseas semester will forfeit the application fee.