Short Term Advance Terms & Conditions
The Short Term Advance Program assists students in meeting unanticipated educational expenses (i.e. purchasing textbooks) incurred prior to the date financial aid funds are scheduled to disburse. A student may not have more than one (1) Short Term Advance per semester. Exceptions can be made for extenuating circumstances. Preference will be given to full-time students when funds are limited.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure to input your correct Z Number; if you enter the wrong Z Number, your short term advance request will not load to the system.
Applications will OPEN approximately two (2) weeks prior to the beginning of each semester and will CLOSE two (2) weeks prior to the end of each semester. REMINDER: Please remember the time frame when applying for each new semester.
- The maximum limit is $750 (a $7.50 processing fee will be assessed).
- Student Borrowers must:
- be degree seeking.
- be enrolled at least half-time at FAU. ( NOTE: If half-time enrollment is contingent upon Summer term 3 credit hours, the Short Term Advance will NOT disburse until AFTER the drop/add deadline of Summer term 3, unless you are also registered in Summer terms 1 and/or 2.)
- have an institutional GPA of at least 2.0 (New students are exempt from this criteria)
- NOT have an outstanding balance with the University. Short term advances cannot be waived if previous A/R balance is from traffic & parking fines, previous short term advances, health fees and/or library fines.
- have a bank account. Short term advances are disbursed ONLY via direct deposit to the student's bank account. No paper checks will be issued!
- be 18 years of age or older. IF NOT, please download the Parental Short Term Advance Application located on the Forms to Download section of the FAU Financial Aid website.
Funds will be directly deposited into the student’s bank account; however funds can be direct deposited into your existing financial institution. Student’s must complete and submit a direct deposit authorization form prior to applying, which is located online on MyFAU (click on the Money Matters tab). The first Short Term Advance disbursement will process before the first day of classes. If you meet the eligibility requirements, you will receive the proceeds before classes begin.
In consideration of approval of the loan application and receipt of funds, the student promises to pay the FAU Cashier's Office the principal sum amount borrowed plus a non-refundable processing fee of $7.50 on or before FORTY FIVE CALENDAR DAYS from the date funds are disbursed, or upon receipt of financial aid funds, or upon cancellation of financial aid funds, or the last day of the term, whichever comes first.
The student acknowledges and agrees to the following terms:
- Failure to repay this loan will prevent student from registering, receiving diploma, receiving grades, or securing an official transcript until such time as the loan is paid in full.
- In the event of commencement of suit to enforce payment of this Note, as the Maker of this loan, to pay all costs of such suit including, but not limited to attorney’s fees, and any other fees the court may deem reasonable.
- This Note will be governed by the laws of the State of Florida. In the event of litigation, venue shall be Palm Beach County. This Note is not assignable by the payee and cannot be changed or modifies without the written authorization of both payer and payee.