Accessing The IRS Tax Return Transcript Online
If students or parents are not eligible to utilize the IRS Data Retrieval tool then copies of Tax Return Transcripts are needed in order for your verification to be completed. Transcripts can be accessed online.
Your personal information will be needed to order a Tax Return Transcript. You will need your SSN, Date of Birth and address used at the time you filed your taxes.
When requesting Tax Return Transcripts do not use the option to forward transcripts to a third party . We will not be able to match the transcript to the student's file. Transcripts must be sent to the tax filer. The tax filer will then write the student's Z# and name in the upper right corner before the Verification packet is mailed or hand delivered.
How to Access IRS Tax Return Transcript(s) Online:
- Go to http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript .
- Click on "Get Transcript ONLINE".
- Follow the steps on the IRS website for access specifically to TAX RETURN TRANSCRIPT.
How to Access IRS Tax Return Transcript(s) by Phone:
- Call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946.
- Tax filers must follow prompts to enter the primary tax filer's social security number and the numbers in their street address. Generally, this will be numbers of the street address that were listed on the latest tax return filed. However, if an address change has been completed either through the IRS or the US Postal Service, the IRS may have the updated address on file. For a joint tax return, use the primary tax filer's social security number, date of birth, street address, and zip or postal code.
- Select "Option 2" to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript and then enter the tax year requested.
- If successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Tax Return Transcript at the address on file with the IRS within 5 to 10 business days. IRS Tax Return Transcripts cannot be sent to an address other than the one on file with the IRS.
NOTE: If you are having issues accessing information, contact the IRS at https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/contact-your-local-irs-office. Tax filers who are not able to request a Tax Return Transcript specifically due to "Identity Theft", contact the IRS toll-free number at (800)908-4490.