Landscape and Grounds
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How often is the grass mowed on the Boca Raton and Jupiter campuses?
Grass is cut approximately three times per month in the summer months and one or two times per month in the winter.
2. Who takes care of the large banyan and ficus trees on campus?
Buildings and Grounds often contacts a tree service to perform "hurricane" pruning of these large trees.
3. How do I call to report a grounds related problem like a broken irrigation head, tree branch across a road or sidewalk, etc?
Please submit a work request -
- On Line Work Order Request Form
- By phone (for emergencies - Water Instrusion, Elevator stuck, etc.)
- (Boca / Jupiter Campuses call 7-2240
- Broward Campuses (Davie, Ft. Laud, SeaTech) call 6-1534
- Harbor Branch Campus call 6-2246
4. What is the source of irrigation water on the Boca Raton and Jupiter campuses?
Both campuses have the benefit of using recycled or reuse water for irrigation. The City of Boca Raton water plant located on Glades Road and abutting the FAU campus, provides water there. The Loxahatchee Water District provides the same water for Jupiter. The advantages of reuse water is that the cost is much lower than potable water and is a "green" initiative in saving potable water.
5. Tell me about the automation of the campus irrigation systems?
The initial phase for the installation of the automated irrigation system in Boca Raton was in the Athletic area as it is isolated from the the main campus and the type of grass there, Bermuda, requires different amounts of water and watering scheduling than St. Augustine grass. Wireless controllers report to a main computer and software shows each controller's water usage over a given time and abnormalities are addressed as needed repairs The Jupiter campus already has this system installed.. This is also a green initiative as reuse water is controlled and very little water is wasted.