FAU’s Global Civic Engagement
Global crises serve as reminders of the needs of many throughout the world. This page will provide resources to help the FAU community consolidate and coordinate response efforts. Current relief efforts include outreach to various crises that have occurred within and outside of the United States.
This informatoin has been compiled by FAU's Weppner Center for Civic Engagement and Service.
Outrach to College Students
Students of the FAU community who may be encountering financial and/or housing challenges, may utilize the attached list of resources to locate possible local aid in Palm Beach or Broward Counties or national aid: [Click Here]
Outreach for Hurricane Sandy
embers of the FAU community who would like to contribute to the relief efforts in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy are advised to go through the following organizations:
American Red Cross
To donate specifically to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief fund:
- Visit www.redcross.org, select “Donate Funds”, “Donate Now” for Disaster Relief
211 Palm Beach/Treasure Coast, www.211palmbeach.org
With the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, the Palm Beach/Treasure Coast 211 has been answering the overflow of callers in need of disaster assistance from its 211 New Jersey affiliate. To date 2900 incoming calls from the New Jersey region have been received. Volunteers are needed for basic data entry to assist our staff.
- Skills Needed: Basic computing/typing skills with attention to detail
- Location: Lantana 211 facility
- Date and Time for Volunteers: All shifts available
- Dress Code: Casual
- Contact: Pablo Mirabel at 561-533-1065 or Patrice Schroeder at 561-383-1149
- Provide your email address for facility directions to be sent
Outreach to Japan
Members of the FAU community who would like to contribute to the relief effort in Japan in the aftermath of the devastating 8.9 magnitude earthquake and resulting tsunami are advised to go through the following organizations:
- American Red Cross: To donate specifically to the Red Cross Japan Earthquake and Pacific Tsunami fund, visit www.redcross.org, select “Giving and Getting Involved”, “Donate”, “Online”, “Japan Earthquake and Pacific Tsunami”. To respond to the needs of those concerned about relatives in the affected regions, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) provides the following web site (www.icrc.org/familylinks) for people seeking to restore contact with family members affected by the earthquake in Japan.
- Salvation Army: To donate specifically to the Salvation Army Japan Relief Efforts, you may do so in the following ways:
- Donate online at http://donate.salvationarmyusa.org
- Call 1-800-SAL-ARMY (1-800-725-2769)
- Text the words “Japan” or “Quake” to 80888 to make a $10 donation (please ensure to respond “YES” to the thank you message you receive to confirm donation)
- By mail, send your check marked “Japan Earthquake Relief” to:
The Salvation Army World Service Office
International Relief Fund
P.O. Box 630728
Baltimore, MD 21263-0728
Outreach to Pakistan
Members of the FAU community who would like to contribute to the relief effort in Pakistan in the aftermath of widespread flooding are advised to go through the following organizations:
- Embassy of Pakistan: Visit http://www.embassyofpakistanusa.org/PM_Flood_08022010.php to make monetary and/or relief item donations.
- American Red Cross: To donate specifically to the Red Cross Pakistan Relief and Development fund, visit www.redcross.org, select “Giving and Getting Involved”, “Donate”, “Online”.
Outreach for the Tornadoes in the US
Members of the FAU community who would like to contribute to the relief efforts in several states in the aftermath of the numerous tornadoes are advised to go through the following organization:
- American Red Cross: Visit www.redcross.org to find a Red Cross chapter in a specific area to make a monetary donation toward the local needs of affected individuals.
Outreach for the Nashville Floods
Members of the FAU community who would like to contribute to the relief effort in Nashville in the aftermath of widespread flooding are advised to go through the following organization:
- Nashville Area Red Cross: The Nashville Area Red Cross is accepting donations to support its outreach to the flood victims. To make monetary donations and/or provide needed items, please visit www.nashvilleredcross.org or call (615) 250-4300.
Outreach for the Gulf Oil Spill
- Individuals interested in providing assistance with a variety of tasks in response to the Gulf Oil Spill may visit www.volunteerfloridadisaster.org to find opportunities within and outside of Florida.
- FAU employees and students who will be involved in oil spill clean-up activities may visit the FAU Environmental Health & Safety website, www.fau.edu/facilities/ehs, to learn about how to perform those activities safely. More information regarding the oil spill may also be found on the EH&S website.
- As part of the SAVE Message(http://www.volunteerfloridadisaster.org/index.html#SAVE), all volunteers are reminded:
- Safety first!
- Oil is a hazardous material and should be handled by highly trained professionals only.
- Volunteers should not attempt to clean impacted beaches themselves or attempt to rescue oiled wildlife on their own. Touching oil is a health risk and disposing of it improperly may cause additional environmental damage. Distressed wildlife may become aggressive and cause harm to you.
- Always heed local warnings from public health officials.
- Do not trespass on closed beaches. Even leaving your footprints behind may cause environmental damage.
- Volunteers should not expect to just show up to affected beaches and work. Showing up puts you at risk for health problems, hinder the efforts of response personnel, and may cause further irreparable damage to impacted beaches.
- Safety first!
How You Can Help
Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute at Florida Atlantic University is actively engaged in responding to the Deepwater Horizon oil spill disaster and we want to help keep you abreast of the latest, most accurate developments.
Please join our efforts in helping to solve this crisis by learning more and supporting the FAU Harbor Branch efforts for recovery. Here are three ways you can help us respond to the environmental crisis:
- Donate – Visit http://fauf.fau.edu/HBOIfund and designate your gift to the Research Development Fund in support of FAU Harbor Branch research.
- Volunteer – The Florida Wildlife Commission is coordinating volunteer interest for wildlife rehabilitation. Please see the guidelines for becoming an oiled-wildlife rehabilitator. For more information on how to volunteer for other efforts, visit www.volunteerfloridadisaster.org .
- Spread the Message – Connect to FAU websites to get the latest updates on FAU efforts (see links below) Use e-mail, Facebook and Twitter to help us get the word out that FAU and Harbor Branch are taking an active role in this disaster and everybody’s participation can make a difference. FAU Harbor Branch Facebook www.facebook.com/HarborBranch and Twitter http://twitter.com/HarborBranch .
Oil Spill Website Links
Official National Command: www.deepwaterhorizonresponse.com/go/site/2931
NOAA Maps: www.aoml.noaa.gov/phod/dhos/altimetry.php
Florida Marine maps: http://ocean.floridamarine.org/ACP/STPACP/MAPS.html
Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies – Loop Current: http://oceancurrents.rsmas.miami.edu/atlantic/loop-current.html
Florida Wildlife Commission: http://myfwc.com/OilSpill/index.htm
Florida Atlantic University: http://oilspill.fsu.edu/profile-fau.php
FAU Experts List: www.fau.edu/research/oil_spill_experts.php
FAU Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute
FAU Harbor Branch Research Toolbox: www.fau.edu/hboi/oilspill.php
FAU Harbor Branch Student Field Report: www.fau.edu/hboi/panhandlespillresponse.php
Outreach to Chile
Members of the FAU community who would like to contribute to the relief effort in Chile in the aftermath of the magnitude-8.8 earthquake that struck near Santiago on Feb. 27 are advised to go through the following organizations:
• Embassy of Chile: Go to http://chile-usa.org and see “How to contribute.”
• American Red Cross: Make Chile-designated donations by going to www.redcross.org , calling 1-800-REDCROSS or texting “Chile” to 90999. Spanish-speaking people can donate by calling 1-800-257-7575.
• Salvation Army: Text the word “CHILE” to 52000 to donate $10.
For information regarding travel to Chile or for contact information, visit:
• U.S. Department of State
• Embassy of Chile
Outreach to Turkey
Members of the FAU community who would like to contribute to the relief effort in Turkey in the aftermath of the magnitude-5.8 earthquake that struck the Elazig province on March 8 are advised to go through the following organization:
• Turkish Red Crescent: Donate directly to a Turkish city through your bank by going to www.kizilay.org.tr/english/index.php and clicking on “online donation” to select a city and designated bank account .
For information regarding travel to Turkey or for contact information, visit:
• U.S. Department of State
• Embassy of Turkey
Outreach to Haiti
The FAU community's response to the Haitian earthquake was handled through the Division of Student Affairs, the Haitian student organization Konbit Kreyol and Student Government. Monetary donations to the relief effort, are still being accepted at:
• Food for the Poor – Go to the “Click Here to Help” link and make a donation in any amount by checking a box. Although the lowest amount that appears on the page is $35, you can make a smaller donation in the “Enter an Amount” box.
This information has been compiled by FAU’s Weppner Center for Civic Engagement and Service.