English Honors Program
The Honors Program in English provides the opportunity for qualified majors to undertake advanced literary research in a community of their undergraduate peers.This program is especially recommended for students who plan to pursue a graduate degree in literary studies.
English Honors eligibility requirements :
- Minimum overall GPA of 3.0 and a GPA of 3.5 or above in English major courses
- Student must have already completed 60 credits (including at least 15 English major credits) and must have already completed ENG 3822: Introduction to Literary Studies or LIT 3212: Literary Theory (if, for some reason, a student has not yet taken ENG 3822 or LIT 3212, he or she can petition to take either concurrently with the Honors Seminar)
The English Honors Program entails taking two related courses (3 credits each), taken in the fall and spring and completing an Honors thesis between 20-40 pages.
1. Honors Seminar (ENG 4932). Honors Seminar is required for honors students but open to those interested in more advanced literary study. This course allows students to synthesize the literary knowledge and critical skills gained in the English major. The seminar is more intensive and interactive than the Department’s other courses and will be organized in ways that anticipate graduate-level courses. The topics of the seminar change from year to year. This course will be offered once a year in the fall.
2. Honors Research (ENG 4910). Honors Research facilitates the writing of the honors thesis, which will be the final aim of the course. The course will expose students to the standards and best practices of research-level literary scholarship while also preparing the ground for the students’ intended research topics. The course may include library research visits, presentations on different research and analytical methodologies, and peer editing workshops. At the end of spring semester students will present their theses at an Honors Research course event or the Undergraduate Research Symposium. This course will be offered once a year in the spring.
Note : Students will receive the designation “Honors in English” at the time of graduation, upon satisfactory completion of the following requirements:
- Fulfillment of all normal field distribution requirements for the English major.
- Completion, with a grade of "B" or higher, of Honors Seminar and of Honors Research.
- Achievement of an overall GPA of at least 3.0 and a GPA of at least 3.5 in all English courses at the time of graduation.
- Completion of a thesis of substance and quality that meets with the approval of the course instructor and/or thesis director.
Students in the Honors Track in English who complete all requirements, but who do not meet the GPA requirements for honors at the time of graduation, will receive credit for all work completed, but will not be certified as having received honors. Students who engage in academic dishonesty will be dismissed from the Honors program and face additional penalties from the university.
For more information please contact:
Shantelle Maxwell, firstname.lastname@example.org