Exceptional Circumstances /Medical Withdrawals
ECW DEADLINE FOR:
Spring 2015: April 8, 2015
COMPLETE WITHDRAWAL REQUEST PACKETS submitted are for ALL classes and should be submitted during the semester for which the withdrawal is requested and at least (2) weeks prior to the last day of classes. INCOMPLETE PACKETS will be returned. Applications received after the submission deadline may be considered if the student’s documents show that the failure to apply timely was beyond the control of the student.
Quality Reasons for an Exceptional Circumstances Withdrawal are:
- Physical / Mental Illness or Injury: Illness of a student of such severity or duration, to preclude completion of all courses.
- Death in Immediate Family Members ONLY - Parents, Spouse, Siblings, Grandparents, Child, or Legal Guardian (papers required).
- Involuntary call to Military Duty ONLY.
- Primary Care-Giver to ill Immediate Family Member
- Victim of Crime
- Request for Exceptional Circumstance Withdrawal Form: Click Here for Exceptional Circumstance Withdrawal Form
- Letter of Explanation: A letter, written by the student, explaining the reason for the withdrawal request and signed by the student.
- Release of Medical Information (Included with the Exceptional Circumstance Withdrawal Form)
- Acceptable documentation for one of the following circumstances (see below)
4. Acceptable documentation for one of the following exceptional circumstances:
Physical / Mental Illness or Injury: Click Here for Medical Certification Form
- Physician/Clinician must complete the Medical Certification Form Provided by FAU. This form must be completed in its entirety for submission.
- Physician/Clinician must state that condition prevents successful completion of ALL courses and the reason(s) why.
Death in Immediate Family:
- Requires Death Certificate or a letter from funeral director or obituary.
- Requires copy of Military Orders
Primary Caregiver to ill Immediate Family Member: Click Here for Primary Caregiver Form
- Physician/Clinician of Family Member must complete the Primary Caregiver Certification Form provided by FAU. This form must be completed in its entirety for submission.
- The reason(s) the family members condition prevents the student's successful completion of all course work.
Victim of Crime:
- Letter from Victim Advocate and/or Police Report.
- The reason(s) the crime prevents the students successful completion of ALL course work.
- On a per case basis
- Completed forms will be submitted to the Exceptional Circumstances Withdrawal Committee (ECW) for review. The ECW Committee, which is made up of university employees and includes healthcare professionals, meets weekly and will determine if there is just cause of a withdrawal due to exceptional circumstances.
- In ALL cases of Physical / Mental Illness or Injury Withdrawals, an administrative hold may be placed on the student's upcoming registration until clearance is given by the attending physician / clinician, in writing, indicating that the student is now well enough to return to school. The ECW Committee will determine whether or not the student can resume classes for the upcoming semester.
- If the the withdrawal is approved, a "WM" will be replaced the grades. Documentation must be in English, or be translated to English, and the translator's signature must be notarized. The translator must be someone other than the student or a relative of the student.
- Student Appeal Process: Students who are denied a Withdrawal for Exceptional Circumstances may appeal the decision to the Vice President of Student Affairs, in writing, within five (5) days of receipt of letter.
- Please refer to the "University Regulation 4.013" for the complete policy on Withdrawals for Exceptional Circumstances.
Completed forms with required documents must be returned to the:
FLORIDA ATLANTIC UNIVERSITY
SSB#8, ROOM 226
777 GLADES ROAD
BOCA RATON, FLORIDA 33431