Internship Training Program Components
The 2013-2014 Internship year starts on August 19, 2013 and ends on August 18, 2014.
Pre-doctoral interns make a commitment of 40 hours per week for the 12 month Internship year. Twenty-four of these must be scheduled direct contact hours. Psychology interns are required to complete 2,000 hours of work in their internship year with a minimum of 25% being direct client contact. Hours of work are 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. with one evening until 6pm during academic semesters. There are some later evening and weekend special events, as needed.
The 2014-2015 training year will start on August 4, 2014 and end on August 3, 2015.
Intern Service Hours:
Direct contact hours must include a minimum of:
1) Two co-facilitated therapy groups per placement year
2) One observation and one co-facilitated outreach/workshop presentation, completed with senior staff
3) Two outreach/workshop presentations completed independently per semester
4) Outreach tabling events, as available
5) Five Psychological Assessment batteries for the year
6) Eleven to thirteen individual or couples counseling/psychotherapy hours per week
7) Consultations with students as available
8) Supervision of a master’s level trainee, on their work with one client in the spring and summer semesters
Intern Training Activities:
1) Two hours of individual face to face supervision with a primary supervisor, per week. Additional time is available, as needed.
2) One hour of individual supervision with a secondary supervisor, per week. Additional time is available, as needed.
3) Testing Supervision, 1 hour per week, minimum, while working on a testing case
4) Team Meeting, one hour per week
5) In-Service Training Meeting, one hour per week during fall and spring semesters
6) Training Seminar, 2 hours per week during fall, spring, and summer semesters
7) Supervision of Supervision seminar, 1 hour per week in the spring and summer semesters
8) Optional Psychodrama Group Therapy training meeting, 1 hour during the academic year
9) Groups / Research Meeting 1 hour/month; Outreach Meeting 1 hour/month; Clinical Administration Meeting 2 hours/month
10) Group Therapy Facilitators Group, one hour, twice per month, with all the group facilitators
11) Psychiatric Consultation Meeting, 1 hour per week
12) One half hour of group therapy supervision by group therapy co-leader, per group led each week.
Required one time trainings for Interns:
1) Safe Zone Training (3 hours on lgbtqa issues)
2) Veteran’s Forum (4 hours)
The above are University wide trainings available to all students, faculty and staff
Training Seminar Topics:
Training seminar topics will vary by semester. We have a core set of topics first introduced in the intern orientation and build in complexity in each semester of the training year.
Outreach & Consultation
In addition, there are one time seminar topics. These topics are:
Working with GLBTQ Clients
Seminars on theoretical orientations and therapeutic intervention
and a variety of others