March 24, 2020 - 7:45 p.m.
Please carefully review the options below and log into the housing portal to complete the spring housing update form no later than 11:59 p.m., March 30, 2020, to notify us of your plans for the remainder of the spring semester. You will receive an email confirmation once the form has been completed.
Beginning April 1, 2020, only residential students electing to remain in university housing will be permitted to access the residential facilities. Students choosing to leave belongings in their residence hall/student apartment will not be able to access their belongings until notified by the university. Students and families should note that these instructions are to promote social distancing and align with the recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
You will access the Spring 2020 Housing Plan form in the portal which will provide the following options:
Option 1: I am away from campus and will return for my belonging when the University contacts me.
Option 2: I am currently on campus, but will depart by March 31, 2020. I will return for my belongings when the University contacts me.
Option 3: I am fully checking out by March 31, 2020, and will take all of my belongings with me.
- Guests, including family members, will not be permitted to assist in moving your belongings out of your room. For students with unique circumstances who require assistance, exceptions may be approved by Housing Staff. In order to request an exception, please contact the Department of Housing and Residential Education.
Option 4: I will remain on campus after March 31, 2020.
- Campus services, including dining options, will be provided on a limited basis.
- Residential students are required to practice social distancing and are not permitted to have guests.
- Any student who fails to quarantine after they are directed to do so may be subject to discipline, up to, and including, removal from University Housing.
- Depending on occupancy, the Department of Housing and Residential Education may require remaining students to relocate into a different room or residential facility.
Option 5: I have already checked out.
Please note that students are not required to remove all of their belongings by March 31. Rather, if a student is not residing on-campus (but their items are in the room space), they will remain eligible for credits, once determined. Any student who elects to physically reside on-campus after March 31 will be ineligible for credits. The Department of Housing and Residential Education will share information regarding credits for housing and dining as this information becomes available.
If you have items in your room that you need, you may return to pick up these items. We ask that students who are returning for critical items do so by March 31.
Guests, including friends and family members, are not permitted to accompany students to their rooms to pick up items. For students with unique circumstances who require assistance, exceptions may be approved by housing staff. In order to request an exception, please contact the Department of Housing and Residential Education. We are limiting guests in order to adhere to the social distancing recommendation.
Additional information with move out instructions for students who are not residing on-campus after March 31, but leave their items in their rooms, will be forthcoming. Please continue to check your FAU email for housing and university updates.
Questions and Requests for Assistance can be directed to FAU’s Office of Environmental Health and Safety:
Residential Students (including off-campus hotel)
Non-Residential Students (contact the Office of the Dean of Students)