With an increased emphasis in graduate studies and research, the University is moving toward the creation of a Graduate Faculty. To assist in this process, broad University wide guidelines have been established. Each College is expected to develop detailed guidelines and criteria for membership in the Graduate Faculty. Additionally, each College’s guidelines and criteria need to be approved by the Vice President for Research and Graduate Studies and Dean of Graduate Programs in consultation with the Advisory Council for University Research and Graduate Studies (comprised of members of the Graduate Faculty and representing all colleges).
Guidelines for the Creation of a Graduate Faculty
- Members of the Graduate Faculty are those who teach graduate courses, direct thesis/dissertation research, or serve on thesis/dissertation supervisory committees.
- Membership in the Graduate Faculty will initially be extended to all regular faculty members who have been participating in graduate programs including the teaching of graduate courses, directing thesis/dissertation research, or serving on thesis/dissertation supervisory committees during the past five years, and are nominated by their Department Chair and the Dean of their respective College.
- New faculty members (or current faculty members who do not have the Graduate Faculty designation) may be nominated for the Graduate Faculty by their Department Chair and the College Dean, based on the faculty member’s ability to perform the stated functions.
- Nominations for the membership in the Graduate Faculty are to be made by the Department Chair and the Dean of their respective College providing an assessment of the nominee’s readiness to teach graduate courses, direct thesis/dissertation research, and serve on thesis/dissertation supervisory committees. The nominations must include the nominee’s curriculum vitae and other supporting documentation. All nominations will be reviewed by an Advisory Council for University Research and Graduate Studies for compliance with the College and University Criteria. For nominees who are not in compliance with the criteria, the committee will review the College’s justification and provide a recommendation to the Vice President for Research and Graduate Studies and Dean of Graduate Programs whether the nominee should be granted Graduate Faculty membership.
- The duration of membership in the Graduate Faculty will be for a period of five years subject to renewal. The process of submitting requests for renewal of membership in the Graduate Faculty will be the same as for initial membership.
- The Vice President for Research and Graduate Studies and Dean of Graduate Programs, upon the recommendation of the appropriate Department Chair and College Dean, may make temporary appointments to the Graduate Faculty for visiting and adjunct faculty to serve in particular roles. Such appointments are valid only for the particular function for which they are approved, and for a specific duration of time.
Adopted by CDSI faculty at Spring 2004 college wide faculty meeting as College guidelines with the provision that Departments and Schools may adopt more stringent policies.
All Pages maintained by College Webmaster