School of Social Work Application Procedures

What  items do I have to complete to apply for the MSW program?

Where do I send everything?

These are completed online at

  • University Application
  • Residency Form
  • Application Fee (If using credit card)

Send to the Graduate College:

  • One official transcript (per directions in online application)
  • Application fee (if not paying online)

Florida Atlantic University
Graduate College, SU-80, Room 101
777 Glades Road, P.O. Box 3091
Boca Raton, Florida 33431

School of Social Work (address listed below)

We recommend that you complete and assemble the following items and send to us in one packet. This ensures that your application is complete, which will allow the Admissions Committee to expedite the review process.

Florida Atlantic University
School of Social Work SO303
Attn: MSW Committee
777 Glades Road
Boca Raton, FL 33431

Student Health Services

  • Student Immunization Form (address and fax number on the form)

When do I need to have everything in?

The deadline is May 1.

Who needs to complete the reference forms?

The references need to be completed by either academic or professional sources. We do not accept personal references. Professional references include supervisors/managers, volunteer coordinators, or co-workers. Academic sources include professors (at the college level) or advisors.

Can I use the university reference forms?

No, we must have the School of Social Work reference so that all students are evaluated equally. Also, many questions asked on the School of Social Work form are specific and are not addressed on the university reference form. Your references are encouraged to write a letter to supplement the form, but it is not required.

What should be in the personal statement and how long should it be?

Directions for the personal statement are in the School of Social Work application. There are specific questions you will need to address. Your personal statement needs to be 3-4 pages.

When can I start the program?

Regular program students start courses in the fall only. Advanced standing students take a course (the Transition Course) over the summer and might be able to take electives over the summer also, once they have successfully completed the Transition course.

Frequently Asked Questions

Click Here for answers to a list of frequently asked questions regarding the MSW application process.

For any questions regarding the Master of Social Work degree program, please contact Leigh McFarland (Graduate Advisor) at (561) 297-4137, Dr. Elwood Hamlin (Program Coordinator) at 561-297-2864 or Sherry Weinschenk (Instructor/Faculty Liason) at 561-297-0073. You may also request more information by filling out the form found here. Someone will contact you within 48 hours.


Content Last Updated on: October 18, 2013
All Pages maintained by College Webmaster