Job Search Tools
Academic Job Search Links
The links provided in the section contain information to assist graduate students.
- Search for job postings for full-time, part-time, and Co-op & internship opportunities.
- Submit resumes to employers.
- Apply for on-campus interviews.
- Employers to view your resume and student profile.
- Stay informed on career events.
- Access to the Professional Mentor database. Mentors are professionals representing a variety of industries who have volunteered to share their experience and expertise with our FAU Owls. Take advantage of this incredible opportunity to begin building your network.
Disclaimer: The Career Development Center created the following list of links to help you quickly locate web sites dedicated to career development, but is not responsible for the content of the sites nor do we guarantee the continued existence of the links. You should also be aware that there are web-based sites providing "free" employment services that will then sell your resume content in the market place, or provide links to services which may have obvious and/or hidden charges. Read all information carefully, and be cautious of providing highly personal information such as Social Security Numbers. The entire risk as to use of information found on any of the following links is assumed by the user. The links are divided into seven different sections for easier access and navigation:
Clarify Your Career Goals
- Identify your interests, values, and abilities - Meet with a career advisor or take a career assessment
- Reflect on your education, experiences, and personal attributes - speak with your academic advisor
- Determine what you can offer employers- what are your transferable and marketable skills?
- Consider your personal preferences (geographic location, employer size, work environment)
Identify the job you want (by field and industry)
- Research career fields and industries - http://www.bls.gov/iag/ and http://www.careercornerstone.org/
- Explore occupations - http://www.bls.gov/ooh, www.online.onetcenter.org, vault.com, and www.careercornerstone.org
- Explore careers by major
- Identify local jobs - http://www.pbcalliance.com/Home.aspx, employflorida.com, jobs.com, myflorida.com, http://gradxchange.com/
- Company research - employer websites, Hoover's.com, Vault.com
- Public and non-profit sectors - USAjobs.gov, http://www.americorps.gov/ and Idealist.org
- Consider working for FAU
- Review Southeast and U.S. Labor Information from http://www.bls.gov/bls/blswage.htm
Plan and Organize Your Job Search
- Identify the steps you need to take and the resources you will need
Create a timeline for your job search plan
Attend a Career Development Center event and/or workshop
- Track your progress and your interactions with employers
Self-Promotion/ Marketing Tools
- Information on how to create an effective resume and cover letter
- How to brand yourself using social networking sites
Prepare for Interviews
Job Search Strategies
Attend the CDC’s bi-annual Career Fair and other national career fairs. Here is a listing of national career fairs:
Join a Professional Association
Professionally network via Social Networking
Evaluate Job Offers/Salary Negotiation
When receiving written employment offers, read the offer and make sure that you understand the details. Various aspects of the offer may be negotiated depending on industry. Work with a career advisor to determine if negotiating is appropriate.
Prioritize What is Most Important to You
- Interest in the type of position, employer, and industry
- Values (helping others, work/life balance, salary, etc.)
- Geographic location
Understand and Evaluate the Offer - Labor Market & Salary Data
- Compensation and benefits (healthcare, signing bonus, relocation, 401K and retirement)- http://www.bls.gov/guide/geography/wages.htm
- Florida Research and Economic Information Database Application
- National Associate of College and Employers’ Salary Calculator
- Get company reviews , interview questions , & salary information for thousands of companies - http://www.glassdoor.com/index.htm
- Find out how to negotiate the offer - attend a Salary Negotiation workshop.